Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lucygreenthumb

Am I on track here? Help me focus and plan.

lucygreenthumb
15 years ago

Hi All,

I really appreciate everything I've learned here and since I've just started trying to apply all this great info I want to make sure I'm on the right track.

I have a tiny house and yard (maybe 3000sq feet) with what I'm assuming is kentucky bluegrass - house was built in 1942 and that's what they used back then.

In some places the creeping charlie out numbers the grass and I have violets, plantains, dandelions, crabgrass, oxalis, etc. distributed throughout. Two boxturtles graze the yard - so I'm trying to avoid nasty toxins.

I mulch my 8 by 40 foot butterfly garden with leaves in the fall and have a very healthy herd of earthworms. I also find a grub or so every time I dig - but I'm not going to worry about them yet.

From what I've read here, I'm focusing on getting my soil and the microherd nice and healthy before I start destroying weeds in the hopes that healthy grass will fill in the resulting holes faster.

The yard is maybe slightly compacted from walking on it and was "topdressed" with sawdust from the recent loss of two trees - but it's mostly healthy. I say mostly because some small patches look slightly lighter to my eye - it's not all the same shade of green, but it's not really noticeable either.

So two weeks a go I raised my mower height (it only goes to 3") put down rabbit pellets (20lbs) and corn meal (2lbs) - just tossed it around like feeding chickens. I'm keeping an eye out for compost and planning on using unsulphered molasses soon - but we keep having rain every other day.

Should I leave well enough alone for now? Add soymeal meal? Add unsulphered molasses? I'm open to suggestions and critques and apologize for not having more exact numbers on yard size.

Thanks,

Lucy

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus