Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iowa50126

Fertilizing a Rain Saturated Lawn

iowa50126
15 years ago

It's been raining in Biblical Proportions here in Iowa for the past 40 days and nights! (grin)

Well...perhaps not quite 40 days...but it surely seems like it. We've had both kinds of spring weather here this year...rain/tornados and rain/floods.

Anyhow, my lawn has received over 10 inches of rain in the past 14 days and I have delayed my usual Memorial Day fertilization of Milorganite.

I'm concerned that if I apply the fertilizer, the next big rain, which is forecast for this weekend (Sunday night)...will wash away the "Poo that made Milwaukee famous" from my totally saturated clay soil.

I bought the Milorganite last fall for 5 bucks a bag and eventhough it was cheap; I hate to waste anything. And to keep my lawn green through the summer it needs a meal now before the hot weather rolls in.

Should I take the chance and fertilize now or wait for the soil to dry out?

Comments (9)

• decklap
    15 years ago

With that much rain your lawn must look pretty good right now. I'd wait.

• soccer_dad
    15 years ago

I've also had a lot of rain in my area this Spring. I did not apply much soybean meal early on, but have added a good spread of alfalfa pellets. I'm getting pretty convinced that that much rain will wash any nitrogen out. When it starts to dry it just won't have that deep green look to it. I'd feed as soon as you can based on forecast. I wish I had some $5 Milorganite, it would be down tonight.

• bpgreen
    15 years ago

I've also had a lot of rain this spring.

Over an inch in May and about half an inch so far in June.

I'm enjoying it while it lasts, because it's going to stop soon and I won't see anything until October.

• okcdan
    15 years ago

I'd say to go ahead & put it down. You don't need to worry about the rain "washing away the N" as you do with sythetics. The microbes need to break down the protein & carbs into the needed nutrients for the grassplants. If you want to feed your microherd, go right ahead.

Dan

• iowa50126
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm going to wait until my soil drys out some. It's a swamp out there. My lawn was squishy when I mowed today despite the 20 to 30 MPH SW wind that was roaring all day.

As I write this...there's another nasty thunderstorm dumping another inch plus of H20. My hometown has been inside one of those red weather channel tornado watch boxes for days and days. We are all a bit jumpy about tornados around here; as I live only 20 miles west of Parkersburg, IA that was wiped out by a F-5 twister Memorial Day weekend... with 8 fatalities.

MORE Rain is forecast tomorrow and most of next week (sigh)

Besides...My grass is growing like crazy with all this rain ... the Milorganite can wait.

• iowa50126
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That "inch plus" of new rain I alluded to in the last post was not accurate...

This morning...

It measured 5.1 inches in my Brookstone rain guage...which only holds 5.5 inches of precip. Woohoo! a new record for my rain guage.

However, the new "lap pool" that arrived overnight in my fortunately unfinished basement is a bigger problem now than fertilizing my grass.

• rcnaylor
    15 years ago

I'd like to help you, but, its been so long since I've had to worry about that question I can't remember anything about how to deal with that. :(

• lucygreenthumb
    15 years ago

Iowa 50126,
    Where exactly are you? I'm in Cedar Falls (now nationally famous for our sandbagging efforts!). A lot of the neighbors' yards are actually suffering from waaaayyy too much water! We could get anywhere from3-8" tonight depending on who's forecast you believe. So I'm wondering if there is anything to help an overly soggy yard?

• iowa50126
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm in Iowa Falls (zip code 50126)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio