Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Corn Meal....Blackspot and Japanese Beetles

Posted by williamcartwright Z10 SoCal (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 27, 07 at 14:34

Since I know a fair number of you live in the South, where Japanese Beetles and blackspot are big problems for rose growers, and because Corn Meal has been shown effective in boosting some pathogenic and insect killing fungi, I'm wondering if any of you who use Corn Meal on their lawns has noticed an effect on either Blackspot or Japanese ?

I appreciate any responses, even if they "dash" hopes. Sorry if this is mildly "off-topic" but Japane Beetle grubs, from what I understand, do develop in lawns. So I figured, "who better to ask than you all"?

May your lawns be green,

Bill

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Corn Meal....Blackspot and Japanese Beetles

Bill, I spread cracked corn since I can't buy cheap meal locally. Anyway it seems to have no effect on Japanese beatles and little if any effect on black spot on my roses.

So I spray the roses and am intending on trying both milky spore and beneficial nematodes in the lawn for JB control.

o
RE: Corn Meal....Blackspot and Japanese Beetles

Thanks for the response Cobalt Blue. I'm not in the South East myself, but reading the discussions here, and using the organic program on my lawn, got me thinking about the effects of Corn Gluten Meal, and whether it might help on some rose problems. Unfortunatley, rose growing practices in much of the country is even more chemicially reliant that lawn care.

Peace,

Bill

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here