Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Enough Compost

Posted by earthworm73 WA z8 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 5, 08 at 14:36

Ok I am so inexperienced at this I feel like a rookie. But I have decided to spread some compost on my weak lawn to boost the microbes and overall health. I have about 1500 square feet of lawn more or less and was wondering if 1.5 cubic yards is enough to cover the lawn with the required amount of compost?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Enough Compost

I think that's the recommended amount.

o

That is a lot for topdressing. You might want to consider just adding some bagged leaf compost each time you add grains. Frankly, based on your pictures on the regular lawn forum water will do more good in the short term.

o

1 cu yd per 1000 sq ft amounts to putting down a layer between 1/4 and 1/2 inch (actually .324 inches if I did the math right). I've always seen the recommended rate stated in one of two ways, either between 1/4 and 1/2 inch or 1 cu yd per 1000 sq ft. 1.5 cu yd for 1500 sq ft is the same as 1 cu yd for 1000 sq ft. You could go with 1 cu yd for that, and get a little less than 1/4 inch deep layer (.216 in).

Some things I've read lead me to believe that compost is probably not all that necessary for a lawn if you're using organic fertilizers. According to that line of thinking, the main benefit to the lawn from the compost is the introduction of microbes, but if your soil is healthy, you shouldn't need them. If you're just starting with organics and want to give a "booster shot" of microbes, compost is a way to do that.

o

bpgreen is correct, 1/4-1/2" thickness is perfect. The main goal is not to smother the existing turf. Once applied keep the area moist (not soaking) for a few days. The "optimal" time to spread the compost would be when rain/cloudy conditions are forecasted for a few days.

Are you referring to homemade compost or bagged?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here