Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
freyja5

Corn Gluten Meal in the wet Pacific Northwest

freyja5
14 years ago

I have heard that if you use CGM as a pre-emergent, it requires a "drying out" period after application.

Is this product still effective in the wet Pacific Northwest / West Coast of BC, since it is very unlikely that we'll have a dry period during the spring? I have a lot of crabgrass that I hope to be able to start to control with CGM in the spring.

Also, I have heard of some people having flocks of birds and gulls camp out on their lawn to eat the CGM -- has this been a problem for others?

Thanks.

Comments (4)

• dchall_san_antonio
    14 years ago

The birds might be attracted by the aroma of CGM but it is the consistency of dust. Birds don't eat it.

It might seem like I'm changing the subject but...
    What kind of grass do you have?
    How often do you get rain in the spring?
    How high do you mow the grass?

• freyja5
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the reply. Sorry for not including more info.

I believe I have a perennial rye/fescue mix -- it is in a rather shaded area that remains damp most of the time. I overseeded with a "sun/shade" mix this spring and have mowed three times so far on the highest height with a reel mower (I think it is 3"; I don't have the manual on hand to check). I find it really difficult to not lower the mower, though, since the grass just seems to bend over so easily when it is that tall, and I have long tufts I have to redo over and over again.

In the spring, average rainfall starting in Feb and March is 4.5 - 5 inches per month. April and May dry up a bit (usually ~3 inches per month) but because of my shaded area (and clay soil), it really never gets really "dry" here in the spring. Especially considering November and December usually bring in over 6 inches of rain each, leaving the ground pretty wet by the time April rolls around.

I just posted in the lawn forum about my "crabgrass" (asking if that is indeed what I have; I've now started to wonder). In any case, I would still like to try CGM in the spring if it might work with our damp conditions.

Thanks again. I appreciate the time you spend to help newbies like me (:

• billhill
    14 years ago

freyja5 CGM although somewhat expensive, is a very good feed for your lawn. SBM, though not quite as rich in nitrogen as CGM, is also a good choice for organic feeding. When someone asks how to deal with crabgrass organically, frequently they are told to apply 20 pounds/1000 feet of corn gluten meal. What you should know is that it takes time and numerous applications of the stuff over a number of seasons for it to even approach the effectiveness of readily available synthetics. As you alluded to, it does take a drying out period to for CGM be most effective. I personally think that much of the success of CGM lies with the fact that a thick healthy turf precludes the growth of crabgrass and many other weeds.
    Bill Hill

Here is a link that might be useful: Organic lawncare FAQ

• freyja5
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, Bill. I've had a terrible lawn for 5 years now, so I'm not counting on a fast fix. I did expect a bit quicker result when I hired a lawn service, but the lawn has gotten worse, not better, over the past year+ and they were not that reliable. Besides, I'm feeling terrible about the herbicide that they sprayed a few days ago. Not sure what kind of damage it has done -- I guess I should search for topics on that, too.

If the CGM doesn't work as well as a pre-m because of our damp climate, I'll still be very, very satisfied with "thick healthy turf", and can pull weeds by hand when they pop up.

Incidentally, on another post, it was suggested that I most likely have poa annua and poa trivialis, rather than crabgrass.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz