Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poorowner_gw

which spreader ?

PoorOwner
15 years ago

I have only 800 sq ft but I think I need to use a wheeled spreader instead of a hand spreader (too small to put over 10 lbs of material? Do you think this is the right choice for this relatively small area?

I want to know if I should get a drop or rotary kind?

Lawn edges are all concrete so maybe edge guard is desirable?

Comments (6)

• decklap
    15 years ago

You could get by with a small hand spreader with that little amount of space.

• paulinct
    15 years ago

Decklap, I thought to say the same thing, but not having applied grain meals (yet) on a serious basis I wasn't sure if they would clog a hand spreader. The only grain I have ever used was supermarket cornmeal to control a very small outbreak of powdery mildew, and it clogged my handheld so bad that I ended up spreading by hand.

I guess this isn't a problem with other grains? If not that sounds ideal to me.

But if it is I guess I would recommend a drop spreader and carefully spaced applications.

• decklap
    15 years ago

Yeah, good point. The SBM you get from a feed store isn't as fine as grocery store corn meal and spreads easier. Pellets are also problematic for a spreader obviously. But when I use grain meals I just take an old 32 oz yogurt container and dip into the bag and give it a fling. It wont green unevenly.

• PoorOwner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi I didn't think too hard on using just the hand spreader because the door is quite small at the largest setting is like the size of my fingernail..I didn't think it would work well, but it might.

• PoorOwner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I got the scott's deluxe with edge guard, not terribly impressed, for the most part it flings out and hit the left wheel (edge guard is on the right side and it is turned off) Do I have a defective item or maybe just walking speed is too slow?

• PoorOwner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I returned the broadcast spreader and got a drop spreader instead, much better.

Sponsored