Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sawdust on lawn or garden?

Posted by habiem 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 10, 07 at 14:55

I recently completed a home project that made use of a lot of 3/4" oak plywood. As a result, I have a LOT of sawdust. Before I just throw it into the trash can, is there any use for it on my lawn or garden? Is the glue used on the process of making plywood problematic? If so, can I make use of cedar or pine (obviously NOT pressure treated) sawdust, as I regularly have those laying around?

Thanks,

Joe

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sawdust on lawn or garden?

You can, and it's an organic material. Like you said, don't use pressure-treated (or any kind of treated) lumber--if I remember arights, the arsenic levels are pretty high.

I'm not sure about the glue. It's probably a plastic or rubber-like thing, so it won't decay.

Now a warning. :-) Wood is a "brown" and very high in carbon. It's going to suck up nitrogen to decay (and then release it as the decay process continues). You'll want to counterbalance that with a nitrogen source.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here