Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is the manure I used too fresh?

Posted by mpaola 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 3, 13 at 15:12

I obtained some composted horse manure but unfortunately didn't do enough research to know what to look for in the compost I was collecting (lesson learned).

What I collected from a compost heap was wet and warm and had a slight horse odor to it. I now know that I should be looking for dry, mossy-smelling compost from animal manures. Long story short it got added to the bottom of my raised beds (single layer, probably 3-4 inches thick) with my veggies planted on top. My concern is, are my plants at risk for acquiring E. Coli or some other fun disease-causing bacteria? As it is early season, I don't anticipate on harvesting anything for at least 3 more weeks.

Any advice or guidence would be greatly appreciated for this newly humbled gardener.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is the manure I used too fresh?

The general guidelines issued by the Center for Disease
Control, the National Institute of Health, and the USDA about using animal manures in the vegetable garden is to apply that manure at least 90 days before harvesting crops growing above ground and 120 days for below ground crops.
While animal manures are good sources of nutrients far too much of that manure is wasted by improper storage. If animal manures are simply piled up and allowed to sit around to "age" 20 to 50 percent of the Nitrogen and 5 to 20 percent of the Phosphorus and Potash can be lost, according to numerous studies done at our Ag Schools.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here