Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lawnboy6501

Soy bean meal vs Alfalfa pellets

lawnboy6501
13 years ago

When I went to the feed store to pick up a bag of Soy bean meal yesterday, the cost had soared from eighteen dollars for a fifty pound bag to thirty dollars. A fifty pound bag of Alfalfa pellets is thirteen dollars. Is Soy Bean Meal worth the difference in price or should I switch products each application? Please advise.

I have found that the large empty paint buckets that are available for five dollars at Home Depot is a great way to store unused lawn products.

Comments (3)

• bgtimber75
    13 years ago

I would use the Alfalfa Pellets. But I'm cheap and there is nothing wrong with variety. I've been using mainly cracked corn this year because it's slightly cheaper then the Alfalfa and the SBM. I've also been using used coffee ground because those of course are free.

• jayt63
    13 years ago

Since soybean meal is so expensive, I would suggest an alternative. Safe and Simple lawn food is composed of soybean meal, alfalfa meal and fish meal and sells for $23.99 per 50 lb bag. There is a dealer look up on the site.

Here is a link that might be useful: useful link

• fmullegun
    13 years ago

You get a little more than twice as much N with SBM. If the price was the same per N i would opt for Alfalfa because you get more "stuff" and it is easier to spread.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor