Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Soy bean meal vs Alfalfa pellets

Posted by lawnboy6501 FL (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 5, 10 at 15:38

When I went to the feed store to pick up a bag of Soy bean meal yesterday, the cost had soared from eighteen dollars for a fifty pound bag to thirty dollars. A fifty pound bag of Alfalfa pellets is thirteen dollars. Is Soy Bean Meal worth the difference in price or should I switch products each application? Please advise.

I have found that the large empty paint buckets that are available for five dollars at Home Depot is a great way to store unused lawn products.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Soy bean meal vs Alfalfa pellets

I would use the Alfalfa Pellets. But I'm cheap and there is nothing wrong with variety. I've been using mainly cracked corn this year because it's slightly cheaper then the Alfalfa and the SBM. I've also been using used coffee ground because those of course are free.

o

Since soybean meal is so expensive, I would suggest an alternative. Safe and Simple lawn food is composed of soybean meal, alfalfa meal and fish meal and sells for $23.99 per 50 lb bag. There is a dealer look up on the site.

Here is a link that might be useful: useful link

o

You get a little more than twice as much N with SBM. If the price was the same per N i would opt for Alfalfa because you get more "stuff" and it is easier to spread.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here