Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rcnaylor

Would you...

rcnaylor
15 years ago

I thought I had a pretty good fertilizing schedule going for my cool season grasses. I fertilized three times in the fall and once in the spring. Usually about 20 lbs per thousand of a grain meal and one of urea as the last app in the fall.

Everything I have read over the year discourages fertilizing cool season grasses when its hot.

BUT, last year and early this year I came to the inescapable conclusion that my yard just wasn't getting enough fertilizer around where I have some big trees. Presumably the trees were soaking up a pretty good amount of the fertilizers. When I added extra fertilizer the grass immediately perked up and thickened up.

I have put down two apps this year(the last one about 10 lbs a month or six weeks ago) on the areas in question this spring.

Now some of my grass is getting a little light green in areas. I'm thinking of putting down another 10 pounds (some CGM I got on sale as a fertilizer).

So, would you fertilize this time of the year?

Last year when I was having similar issues I put out greensanad without much noticeable effect so I don't think it is an iron issue. And, it sure isn't getting too much water with our on going dry spell.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting