Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Oxalis in the Lawn

Posted by fleemo17 z9 CA (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 8, 10 at 18:20

I have an ever-growing problem with Oxalis in my lawn. To be specific, I believe it to be Oxalis Corniculata. I practice an organic program with my lawn, mowing it at the highest mower height, and it's doing very well. But the Oxalis is attempting to take over. When I see it, I attempt to pluck it out, but it's difficult to get the entire plant and obviously not terribly effective. What can I do to stem the tide, so to speak, of Oxalis spreading throughout my lawn?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oxalis in the Lawn

"Oxalis Corniculata", aka Creeping Woodsorrel, Procumbent Woodsorrel, and even Sleeping Beauty is one of many of the woodsorrels that get planted by the birds that eat the seeds the plants produce. Your best defense with this is just a good, healthy lawn although the seeds that get dropped can germinate quite easily. Spraying with vinegar will also kill the grass and most of the rest of the "weed killers" that would kill off the plants now growing are not acceptable to organic gardeners those will not prevent more plants from growing. Hand pulling can be effective although that to will not prevent more seeds from germinating. These are among the "weeds" we will always see.

o
RE: Oxalis in the Lawn

So my only option is to learn to love Oxalis? Egad. :[

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here