Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
freyja5

Alfalfa meal vs pellets?

freyja5
14 years ago

I am able to get alfalfa meal as well as pellets at my local feed store. Is there any discernable benefit to using meal over pellets (i.e. will it break down faster)? Or does it not really matter?

I am also able to get soybean meal -- would there be benefits to alternating fertilizations between alfalfa and soybean, or would I be good to go with just one of those? The alfalfa is $10 per 25kg (55lb) bag, while the soybean is $14.75 for the same size, so if I get as much benefit from alfalfa, I'll go for the cheaper one.

Thanks.

Comments (3)

• skoot_cat
    14 years ago

The biggest difference between the meal and pellets is spread-ability when using a broadcast spreader. The meal is very light/dusty. It must be applied on a calm day, Otherwise it will blow all over the place. Pellets on the other hand spread perfectly in any condition. Pellets are a great choice for using a broadcast spreader on your lawn. Meal is great for apply by hand to your landscape plants and working into the soil. Im sure the meal will breakdown a bit faster but its not an advantage.

I am also able to get soybean meal -- would there be benefits to alternating fertilizations between alfalfa and soybean
    Yes and Yes. Both are excellent but you will get more bang for your buck with Soybean Meal. The protein content in Alfalfa is approx 14% whereas SBM is approx 46%. You would have to apply approx three times as much Alfalfa to get the same affects as SBM.

Both have there time and place. Alfalfa is a bacterial food with lots of vitamins and micro-nutrients and they contain trianconatol, a natural fatty-acid growth stimulant. Soybean Meal is a fungal food with a high protein content. You want to have a good combo of both in your soil. SBM is a great choice when you grass is actively growing.

Some cool season grass experts should be able to give you a plan when to apply what.

• freyja5
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks! That's very helpful.

Would the same spreadability issues apply to SBM (and I guess to corn meal, if I get some of that)? Being a meal, is it as light/dusty as the alfalfa, and thus would have to be spread on a calm day?

Would spreading by hand, as opposed to using a spreader, mitigate that at all? I do have a smaller yard and could spread by hand if necessary.

Thanks again for your help!

• skoot_cat
    14 years ago

Would the same spreadability issues apply to SBM (and I guess to corn meal, if I get some of that)?

To some extent yes, but not near as much. Alfalfa Meal seams to be the lightest/dustiest of all. Try to apply it when it's at least semi-calm.

Would spreading by hand, as opposed to using a spreader, mitigate that at all?
    Its worth a shot. I use SBM and CM with a broadcast spreader all the time with no problems what-so-ever. I just dont apply it if its really windy/gusty.