Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
advice on controlling rampant Star Jasmine

Posted by shr00mie 8 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 30, 10 at 19:25

Hi,
I am wondering if anyone has advice on how to get rid of my out of control Star Jasmine. I have browsed the forums and have read about 20% concentrated vinegar but I have doubts that it would take care of my problem. The Star Jasmine has run rampant in my backyard (a narrow but long shaded area).
I'm talking dense, very strong, sometimes multiple layers of vines across a 10 foor by 4 foot area. The massive rain we have had this spring is making it worse.

I dont have any plants in this area that need to live, the only other thing that grows there is chinaberry and spanish needles, (which I have plenty of in the front yard and are a nuisance themselves!).

If anyone has any useful suggestions please do tell. I have tried using a hard rake and manually ripping out the jasmine but it literally breaks the rake, and my weed whacker helps but only for a little while. THANKS!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: advice on controlling rampant Star Jasmine

Many people plant Star Jasmine because some sellers tell them only what a gorgeous and fragrant plant this is and say nothing about how easy this becomes a rapant and invasive "weed'. A beginning to control would be mowing the area it does grow, but mostly digging the roots out is the best means of eliminating it.
The vinegar will kill off the top growth, which over time will cause the roots to die as long as all of the leaves are kept dead so they cannot provide nutrients to those roots.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here