Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Benefits of spent mushroom soil (compost)

Posted by gbig2 6-pa (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 1, 07 at 20:05

I've just read a great article from Penn State about improving turf by using spent mushroom soil (SMS).
http://spentmushroomsubstrate.turfgrass.psu.edu/pubs/spentmushroomsubstrate.cfm

I can get SMS locally, both fresh and aged (6-9 months). I can get fresh SMS at only $4/cubic yard in 40 yard trailer only, or I can get aged SMS for $10/cubic yard. Has anyone used fresh SMS on their lawn? Is it safe to put fresh, straight out of the mushroom factory, on your lawn? I believe they do sterilized both the fresh and aged.

I have an acre lawn and would use the fresh SMS to put a 1/3 inch layer on the lawn to improve the soil and as part of an overseeding project this fall.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Benefits of spent mushroom soil (compost)

Wow - that is a great deal. It is basically just compost with a bit of lime. You might want to drive over and check out what they mean by "fresh" and "aged". All mushroom compost should be aged several months already because they are growing mushrooms on it.

o

The only issues I have with mushroom compost is it's highly alkaline, sometimes salynic and sterile as all get out. Basicly I'm saying it could do more harm than good to your microbe population. Occasionally it's also full of fungicide, too.

Greenjeans

o

Good feedback thanks.
My local SMS compost place says lime isn't added. Even if it is, that would be good as my soil is acidic at 5.7 ph. The compost is certified organic by the Organic Crop Improvement Association so fungicide shouldn't be an issue.
I may just get the fresh since it's so cheap and let it age myself, just in case it's too hot.

o

In my experience only if it's OMRI listed is it truly certified organic.

If it's truly an organic approved compost, they'll have laboratory test results showing AB, AF, TB, TF, as well as the chemistry. Ask them for the test results.

Also, ask yourself this: If it was capable of sustaining any kind of microbial life why wouldn't the mushroom grower have kept it? There's a reason it's so inexpensive and a reason it's referred to as "spent".

Greenjeans

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here