Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeffcarr3

Kelp Meal

jeffcarr3
16 years ago

I found a location that sells kelp meal. Is it worth using/what is it good for? I typically use soybean meal, alfalfa pellets, and corn meal with wonderful results.

Comments (7)

• grayentropy
    16 years ago

Kelp meal (if processed seeweed) will only help. How much for 50 bs?

• jeffcarr3
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Around $7.00/50lbs

• skoot_cat
    16 years ago

WOW, that is an excellent price!!!

Kelp Meal conditions the soil, builds soil life, stimulates root development and plant growth, and retains moisture in the soil. Kelp contains a complex range of biological stimulants, nutrients, and carbohydrates. To date more than 60 different types of nutrients/micro-nutrients in seaweed have been confirmed.

However seaweed in itself is not a plant food, rather it is classified as a "bio-stimulant."

Stress tolerance is perhaps the most important benefit of biostimulants. Biostimulants impart stress tolerance partly by stimulating root growth and partly by promoting antioxidant activity.

If your buying this from a feed store check the sodium content. Could be very high.

and will you pick me up a bag too???

• jeffcarr3
    Original Author
    16 years ago

What is the normal price? I saw a bag of it yesterday in the local feed store when picking up my soybean meal. I called back this morning and talked to one of the guys there (he sounded fairly old as he originally though I said calf milk rather than kelp meal), so it is very possible he gave me the wrong price.

So when do you typically put it down? By your post, it doesn't seem to fit an alternative to my normal grain applications, rather an additive. And would I stick to the 20lbs/1000 square feet. I haven't seen a lot mentioned on this forum about it.

• skoot_cat
    16 years ago

None of my local feed stores carry it.

Only 1 garden center carries it and its Noregian Kelp (Ascophyllum nodosum) and its 56.00 for a 50lb bag. Ouch

Obviously I've never purchased it. I use soluble seaweed powder @ 15.00 for 10.7oz. and mix 2tsp per gal of water and use it as a foliar feed per 1000sqft.

The best time is when your plants/grass are actively growing. A safe rate would be 10lbs per 1000sqft. A little bit of this stuff goes along way.

• grayentropy
    16 years ago

I would start applying at 10-15 lb/100ft^2 and observe the results a month later. I'm assuming that you will be pleased. Repeat as needed as the beauty of organics is that you can never seem to add to much (don't smother the grass though. I spilled some cornmeal last year and it smelled and all the grass died. This year it is the greeenest lushest part of the lawn).

Can you confirm the $7/50 lbs. At that price I would consider buying a 1 or 2 ton pallet and sell to my neighbors and friends. What does soybean meal go for?

I pay about $12/50 lbs for alfalfa and soybean. $8 for corn (if you shop around).

I just bought some liquid kelp (40%) for about $25/gallon. Can't wait to spray it!!

• jeffcarr3
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I went up there today at lunch time, and confirmed the price for kelp meal, $39.95/50lbs. That seems a little more in line with what you guys have been saying. At this location soybean meal is 10.50/50lbs, CGM is 15.97/50lbs. Cracked corn around here goes for around 6-7/50lbs but corn meal is $11.00/50lbs, I get the corn meal from a local mill, they grind it while I wait.

Sponsored
Columbus' Home Design Experts Specializing in Custom Cabinets