Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scott_haslip

The Lawn Gods are Against Me - My Tale of Woe

Scott Haslip
14 years ago

Its my second summer with a new lawn at a new construction house.

My builder did not help me with the topsoil. I spend the first spring digging out about a thousand rocks.

I hit it hard with Synthetics the first year just to get it going, then transitioned into Organics by summer and fall. I gave it one last hit of halts this spring, and since then its been milorganite, alfalfa and corn meal.

After the spring greenup, i got hit with a raft of Poa on the front lawn. Hit it with roundup, and lived with brown patches for a few weeks before digging it all up and putting down seed.

Then I got Red thread, and perhaps brown patch. Eastern PA has had more rain than ever this spring, 15 days of rain in 1st 20 days of June. Made it through that, and finally had my lawn almost perfect. Once nice mow and it was going to look the best it has all year.

ACCCCCK, my john deere has an embolism, breaks a belt, and upon replacement, i do a lap around the yard, turn around, and notice i just spend 200 feet scalping the living crap out of my yard. So much for my finally close to great lawn. Knowing my luck, we will now go drought and my lawn will brown out. I just want on freaking week were i have no issues, is that too much to ask? Yeah and I want the Eagles to win the Super Bowl too, good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1103684}}

Comments (7)

• Scott Haslip
    Original Author
    14 years ago

{{gwi:1103684}}

I figured out how to add a picture.

• organicnoob
    14 years ago

Dude, you need to relax. :) It doesn't look so bad. I know you put in a lot of work and you want it to be perfect but a lot of people would be happy if they could have a lawn that looked as "bad" as yours.

It doesn't looked scalped to me, just one or two areas where it looks like the blade might have been uneven compared to the grass and it doesn't look like it did that the whole way. Maybe you caught it in time.

Looks like you're doing a fine job. Crack open a cold one and don't sweat it.

• Scott Haslip
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the words of encouragement.

I do enjoy sitting on the front porch and enjoying the yard, even if its less than perfect.

On one hand its awesome having nothing but creek and woods in the back, and hundreds of acres of fields on three sides. But it means my green, fed and weed free lawn is on the attack from 4 sides by weedy unkempt fields.

I am slowly going to make inroads to the south (far end of picture above, past swale and cypress tree), even though I don't own it.

I am trying hard to follow the organic mantra and just got my first soil test back. I guess two years of liming has paid off, as my PH is good. I am high on both phosphorus and K and my organic matter is 2.7%, which i find amazing, i guess going bagless and mulching leaves helps.

My wish list includes a compost tea application. Might brew a batch myself and overseeding with some KGB over time. right now, i think i am mostly fescue. the lawn was originally a "spray" lawn, and the guy says he used
    what he had laying around? Sweet........

Anyway, i feel good about using organic, and someday, i think my lawn will thank me. In my case,the impetus was all manner of animals surrounding me, turtles, deer, groundhogs, toads, ducks, geese, and a nice size creek that my lawn runs off into. So no high phosphate synth fertilizer at this house.

{{gwi:1103685}}

• skoot_cat
    14 years ago

Are you freaken kidding me? I dont see a pic of the bad spot(s) your talking about.

• shawnann
    14 years ago

We would die to have our lawn look like that!

• Scott Haslip
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Truth is, the place where I scalped the lawn came back looking better then the where I mowed normally.

the only explanation I have is that the scalping cut the left over brown dead stalks of grass from my brush with fungus back to the ground, leaving only the live good stuff.

It got me searching the web and it while middle of summer is a bad time for it, some folks do in fact scalp their lawn one sometime in early spring to cut back the "dead wood" so to speak.

Anyone ever try that?

• organicnoob
    14 years ago

OK so you've tricked us into reading your post about your terrible lawn and how horrible it is living out between 4 fields where fairies help you sleep soundly and gnomes magically repair your lawn problems. :)

How about sharing some more details of what your lawn care has been like? Have you overseeded at all? Your lawn looks very thick.

Sponsored