Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poorowner_gw

Scott's organic choice lawn fertilizer

PoorOwner
15 years ago

I bought a bag of organic choice fertilizer in the green bag.. I bought a scott's spreader also. The spreader was so hard to see what's going on, It didn't say how many lbs to put down, only a setting that I used slightly lower than recommended.. but since the bag covers 4000 sq ft, I weighted the bag afterwards I used about 80% more than required... how bad is this? I am concerned about burning.

also most of the granules are stuck between grass blades and after watering it looked like pet food that has been soaked. Is this going to break down into the soil after many waterings?

It says the nitrogen are insoluable slow release. I definitely has put down a good 1 lb of nitrogen for now but it is getting hotter so I am worried. Is it really safe to apply anytime of the season because the organic stuff breaks down slowly?

Anyone had burns due to scott's organic?

Thanks for any advice you may have.

Comments (8)

• paulinct
    15 years ago

Generally with organic fertilizers you don't have to worry about burning. But this product includes blood meal, which I have read can burn if over-applied, though it is not clear to me exactly how.

How large is the area that you spread it over, and how many pounds do you have left? Was it a 29 pound bag?

If you want to do something right away, watering heavily won't hurt the slow release parts of the fertilizer, and may help dilute the blood meal. I'm sure it helps with synthetics, and I would guess it would with bloodmeal too, but I am just not certain since I don't understand how blood meal burns.

• decklap
    15 years ago

There is virtually no chance at all that Scotts or any other mixed non synthetic fert will burn under any circumstance. You'll smother your grass before you'll burn it.

Straight bloodmeal on the other hand can be, though isn't always, as high as 15% nitrogen and breaks down pretty quickly. While I've never had a burn with bloodmeal I tend to think that if it were over applied it could possibly burn if it weren't watered in fairly soon. Its so expensive however that the likelihood that you'll even have enough to over apply to a lawn isn't very high.

• PoorOwner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have 800 sq ft and I used about 11 lbs out of a new 29 lb bag, so that's 37%. 37% of the whole bag which was suppose to be out of 4000 sq ft, so that's almost 1500 sq ft material or twice as much as I need.

I don't understand because I used slightly lower setting on the spreader than they recommended.. but the material went so quickly anyway. I had to fill up some more to finish the other areas. So the first area that I did might be over applied. But it is definitely not to the point of smothering at all.

Thanks for the responses, the nitrogen from this seem to come from the feathermeal..

• skoot_cat
    15 years ago

Your lawn will be fine. You probably wont need to fertilizer for awhile now.

The nitrogen comes from Blood Meal and Feather meal.

• markinspringborooh
    15 years ago

Geez....

);

Why not just go out and collect up all the ROAD KILL you can find, grind it up into a CHIPPER, and then blow it into a gory red 'compost pile' ?!?

Same thing..... !!

• paulinct
    15 years ago

That's actually what I like about it - this stuff has more "waste stream" product than any grains. And I think that chipper idea is awesome, can't think of a better way to recycle roadkill!

Except maybe for what we all think up here is happening at the "roadkill grill" down the street...

;-)

• paulinct
    15 years ago

Just a P.S., I have a small lawn also, so it is fairly easy for me to just weigh out the material before loading it into the spreader, and then set the spreader at a significantly lower setting than suggested. This way, even if I have to crisscross the lawn again and again, and maybe adjust the spreader setting from time to time based on how quickly the stuff seems to be dropping, I am always sure I didn't apply too much product, and on a small lawn it's not really a big deal to do that.

• decklap
    15 years ago

Road Kill Compost. Don't knock it. Nature feeds itself all kinds of things.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH