Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Alfalfa pellets - ok to apply for summer?

Posted by andyx123 VA (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 25, 12 at 22:32

Alfalfa pellets are easy to find in my local TSC, they are cheap and fit thru my spreader. So, I'd like to stick to it.

Now, my lawn was poorly cared for last fall. During the spring I seeded and fertilized with milorganite and alfalfa. One application each, one month apart.

I haven't applied anything in the last 6-7 weeks. Would it be ok to add more alfalfa during the summer (lots of heat)? I want to make sure this year I care for the lawn properly and give it an extra boost during the summer (even if the FAQ's seem to say to leave it alone).

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Alfalfa pellets - ok to apply for summer?

One of the benefits to organic is there really isn't a time interval or season restriction. I'd toss it down.

o

There would not be a problem although if your soil becomes dry enough the soil bacteria that would digest those Alfalfa pellets might stop working for a while. If that happens the pellets will just sit there waiting for them to start working again. Many of the "fertilizers", even organic, could be lost during watering or rain since those nutrients would tend to be washed out as the water flows through the soil.

o

Kimmsr, I thought organic fertilizers were insoluble in water. One of the selling points on organics vs. synthetics is that the synthetics can be essentially washed away whereas the organic types won't.

o

If a material has nutrients that can be easily measaured that means those nutrients are soluble and can flow out of the soil with water, whether they are synthetic or "organic". The nutrients in compost are difficult to measure because they are not very readily available (not very soluble) while many of the nutrients in manures are easily measured and are soluble. All materials have some of both types of nutrients.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here