Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
uneek205

Milorganite or soybean in south

uneek205
12 years ago

Hi,

I am new to the forum and i have just recently purchased a home. I am also new to lawn care so I apologize ahead of time if my question may seem stupid. I would like to take the organic route in my yard but need help.

I have read many good comments about milorganite and soybean meal. Would either of these be good to use on southern grass? If so, which would be the better choice and require less work but still keep my lawn looking good? I have Bermuda grass in Alabama. Please help me with a good brand to use also if soybean meal.

Thanks

Comments (4)

• Kimmsr
    12 years ago

Keep in mind that most all soybeans grown today are genetically engineered to be glyphosate resistant and that mnay make them unacceptable to someone growing things organically. Milorganite, or another sewage waste product, is good for warm season (southern) grasses as well as cool season (northern) grasses.

• david_tx
    12 years ago

I am not an organic purist. I use organic fertilizers on my Tif419 lawn because I like the results. I regularly use CGM, cotton seed meal, soy bean meal, and occasionally Milorganite on my lawn. I usually rotate between the different grains and throw in Milorganite once per season.

Bermuda is a nitrogen hog. I put out between 50 - 100 lbs of grain on my 4000 sq ft lawn monthly to keep it green. It's a little more expensive, but if you want "easy", go with the CGM. It's higher protein and you can use less of it. A 50 lb bag costs me almost $30 and will keep my lawn looking good for 6 weeks or so.

Understand that my lawn is my hobby. I have the "golf course" look with my lawn and don't mind whatever work it takes. I switched to organic fertilizers 6 or 8 years ago just to see if I could get the golf course look with organic fertilization. Yes, you can. If you're not as OCD about your lawn as I am, I suspect you can get by with a lot less fertilization and still have a nice bermuda lawn.

• uneek205
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks to both of you for your help.

David, I'm curious at what time do you apply these different products?

• david_tx
    12 years ago

Organic fertilizers are not fast acting like their synthetic counterparts. You have to think ahead a little with them. If you wait until you see a nitrogen deficiency, you are several weeks away from correcting it.

I usually apply the first application in mid March or whenever I first start to see some green in the lawn. The next application is around the first of May when everything is starting to green up. From that point, it's roughly a monthly schedule for me. I don't have any real set schedule.

One good thing about organic fertilizers is that they don't burn and they don't have to be watered in. I can throw down some cotton seed meal in 105 degree sunshine and not worry about it.

Sponsored
Carl Williamson Designs, LLC
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Nationally Acclaimed Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz