Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Uncomposted horse manure in my garden!

Posted by joanicole 7 ashland, or (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 2, 13 at 23:19

We made a mistake and mixed fresh horse manure in with the soil before planting our vegetables. Now we have yellow leaves on some plants and slow germination.

What do we do to amend the soil and save our garden?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Uncomposted horse manure in my garden!

Yikes. My gut says soak the area to attempt to remove as much nitrogen as possible but this may also rot the vegetable roots. Probably best to play the waiting game and hope some can survive the high levels until they are naturally reduced to "safe" amounts in the soil.

Worst case, you lose the current crop but can replant into GREAT soil once the compost has matured.

o

We are going to test the pH of soil next. If it was strongly nitrogenous, as in lots of ammonia, wouldn't it test out highly basic?

I am going to try your recommendation of watering heavily. We'll see what happens !

o

I would not rely on the soil pH to give nitrogen level. Bottom line is while the soil test is a great idea regardless of whether you had an issue or not it is not going to be helpful for your intended purpose. The manure is still cooking and so the amount of nitrogen detected today will different from a couple days from now as it ages.

Goodluck.

o

Agree. Sacrifice this crop to the mistake. Water it a little too heavily and repeat in a week. You might want to cover the top with a little compost and mulch. Let that sit for a few months and you can have a fall planting of something.

Compost is finished and ready to use when it smells wonderful. Your nose is the best instrument to test with.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here