Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sbm

Posted by jlaak5 5(WI) (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 17, 07 at 23:23

I am about to apply my very first "dose" of SBM. My question is, if I have a thick thatch layer(which I am looking to eliminate), will the SBM be able to penetrate the thatch to begin to "work" the soil and break down the thatch?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sbm

Microbes will find the SBM whether or not it penetrates the thatch. Be patient. It will take a few weeks to see any effects of your first dose. A good rain might help. You will not totally eliminate thatch, but an organically maintained lawn will eventually have a healthy, acceptable thatch layer. A light application of compost would help get the microherd munching on the thatch.

o

jlaak5,

If you're real concerned about the thatch, as I was with mine, I would highly recommend spraying some compost tea. I think it really helped my thatch issue. I put down a dose of it around the beginning of May and I've seen a HUGE decrease in thatch since then. The SBM will help, too. If I were you, I'd put down both -- that's what I did. Keep in mind that I also raked the REALLY bad spots, but I think you'll see some good results with SBM and compost tea.

Compost tea will be a LOT easier to spread on your lawn than compost -- especially with the size lawn you have. Compost would help more, but putting a layer of compost on a 1 acre lot might just kill you...

Joe

o

Compost is great for moisture retention too. I applied some in March. The compost is still moist several days after rain in very hot weather.

SBM is great stuff. I put out another round two weeks ago and the results are fantastic.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here