Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtgavin

Fungus and Thatch issues - Argh!

mtgavin
16 years ago

Hi -

I am here to share my story in case anyone can lend a helping hand. I have been trying organic lawn care for the past few years and heave read the FAQ and the threads already in place in this forum, so I have some background. Still I thought I would share my pain, maybe someone can help me.

Short Story: I live in Eastern Iowa and have Kentucky Bluegrass yard with a irrigation system. Over the past two-three weeks, a lot of my yard has turned matted and light (straw) brown, due to what appears to be a very bad fungus problem (Necrotic Ring Spot, at a minimum) and is heavily thatched. Trying to solve organically, but SOON as the lawn is dieing QUICKLY.

Long Story: I bought my current house, last August 2006 so we have been here less than a year. The prior owners left me a lush green lawn, although I noticed the fungus rings when we bought the house last August. They used a lawn service for fertilization/mowing, and ran the sprinklers frequently (did not even turn off if it rained!) They also ran the sprinklers overnight (like 12 PM - 6 AM). I knew this was all bad for the lawn so this year I started implementing my organic program (CGM around April 1; mulching mower, no bagging; hardly use the sprinkler at all). I did not apply any fertilizer of any sort, last fall, by the way.

This was working pretty well for me until about three weeks ago, when it turned hot and dry for a spell. All of a sudden the lush green turf starts getting brown, and matted. I called a lawn service professional (not organic - we don't have those here) and he indicates thatch and fungus (confirming my suspicions). I suppose the fungus is due to the prior owners' overwatering of the lawn, and at night, to boot!

The lawn care dude wants to power-detatch the yard, but I think that could stress the yard even more. (Although I have the irrigation so I can guarantee a good watering for the yard.) He also wants to put down two applications of chemical fungicide (could not even tell me the chemical in it!) but he said it would only stop the spread of the (necrotic ring spot) fungus, not cure it. Not so good if my whole yard already has it! Plus I have 3 kids, a dog and two cats who don't need to be exposed to chemicals.

From what I have read here, corn meal may be an effective way to kill the fungus. So I am looking into getting that but it will not be easy to find. I will check a few grain elevators tomorrow (at least we have those here in Iowa.)

I have also cut the grass down to 2-2.5" in the hopes that will dry out the yard a bit. I know cutting low isn't supposed to be good, but I have seen some good results with that a month ago when the outbreak first started on one side of my house.

This time I also had to bag the clippings (usually I stay away from that) because of the fungus and thatch I already have. I have noticed that my yard has a VERY difficult time, bio-degrading clippings, so far this year. My mulching mower (LawnBoy) throws some small clumps, and they seem to persist till the next mowing. That is also harming the grass I think! I wonder if that means my yard has basically no microbiolagical activity going on? I am going to get my soil pH tested at Iowa State soon (may be too late, though).

I have seen some ways to remove thatch organically (your compost tea, and coffee grounds) and have never tried any of those since this was never a problem in my other houses. Frankly it looks like a lot of work and I don't have a lot of time to find someone with compost and mix up this tea. Darn. Should I core aerate now, in the summer? Or the dreaded power dethatch?

My last fertilizer app was April 1 (CGM), and it looks like Soybean meal is another effective fertilizer. So I may have to try that. But I don't think that is the issue. My lawn is either tall dark green, or matted, straw brown.

Anyone who would like to challenge my approach (corn meal for fungus) or recommend a dethatching approach (power dethatch? aerate?) that could be used NOW, during the heat of the Iowa summer, I would sure appreciate it.

Thanks for reading this far!

Matt Gavin

Comments (6)

• habiem
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Wow...

I'm no expert, so someone may come in and disagree with everything I say, but if it were my lawn, I would absolutely NOT aerate or dethatch right now. I think that's going to do much more harm than good at this time. I'm in MO, so pretty close to you, and I know we've had a stretch of 90+ degree weather, and are just in for more. I'm sure your climate is pretty similar right now. Dethatching is just going to stress the hell out of that lawn, especially if it already has a fungus.

I think your best bet is to let it dry out and apply corn meal a 20lbs per 1,000 sq ft.

In my opinion, getting the fungus under control is much more important than trying to get the brown lawn to turn green again. It sounds like it's already gone dormant this year, and you're probably better off just letting it sit dormant this year while you take care of the fungus. In the fall or next spring, then you can dethatch.

Believe me, I know how difficult it is to see part of your lawn brown. I have an absolute fit if I see anything turning brown in my lawn -- I insist on thick, lush, green all spring/summer/fall. So, I know it may be difficult to just let the brown stay brown this year, but if you try to get it back to green, you may end up causing more harm than good.

Just my .02

• mtgavin
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the comments, habiem. I will probably avoid mechanical activity until the fall.

Check out my pix...horrid.

I found a feed store that is going to make me some corn meal. Will have to drive a half hour to get 6, 50# bags to cover my 12,000 sq ft+. I hope to heck this works.

{{gwi:1103809}}

{{gwi:1103810}}

{{gwi:1103811}}

• iowa50126
    16 years ago

I'm in North Central Iowa and I had some nasty brown patch 3 years ago. I over fertilized my lawn for several years with the Scott's 4 step plan.

I stopped it cold turkey and now use Milorganite and/or alfalfa pellets. Even though I live a half mile from a huge Cargill soybean processing plant...soybean meal is not available at retail here in my small town. I could buy a train load from Cargill but, not a 50# bag. (sigh) So, I use alfalfa pellets. They work well in my garden and flower beds too.

I used some corn meal I purchased from a Wal*Mart food store in 5 lb bags on my fungus. I applied about 20#s per 1000 sqft just on the affected areas. I made 2 applications about 30 days apart and I bagged the grass in the fungus part of the lawn for the duration. The lawn recovered fairly fast once I put the corn meal on and stopped adding too much synthetic fertilizer.

The next growing season I used some cracked corn on the area that had the fungus as I could buy it locally. I had a lot of happy birds but no more brown patch.

You can buy a hand de-thatching rake at most Menard's or Lowe's. I have one and have use it now and then to take care of some areas of my KBG that seem to accumulate some thatch. It's a chore to use but, it will not tear up your turf like a power de-thatcher. It will also allow you to rake the brown areas of your lawn to remove the dead grass for over seeding.

• habiem
    16 years ago

I'll second the dethatching rake. I got one at a local farm & home store. It was $30, is definitely a chore to use, but WELL worth it. I had a huge mess of thatch on my hands in April after 2 1/2 years of synthetic fertilizers and way too much water. The dethatching rake is great for getting the bad areas. You'd kill yourself trying to do the whole lawn. Mine is about 2 feet wide. It's one of the greatest hand tools I have. Although, I hope to not have to use it much more after this year...

• mtgavin
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for your comments, iowa50126 and habiem. Since late June, I have put down my corn meal for the fungus, and put down soybean meal to improve the soil microbe activity. I also purchased a dethatching rake at Home Depot, and put it to use on a few problem areas in my yard. I picked up large amounts of thatch, but the grass in those areas hasn't really improved much. It is getting hotter here in Eastern Iowa (90s this past weekend) so I may not see much more improvement until next fall. Many of the unwatered KBG lawns here are going dormant.

I also started watering more, about 3 times per week, but I think I need to start watering fewer times, and greater quantities each time (like an inch, once per week, to hear the experts tell it). The increased watering has helped the yard a lot (except in the worst spots, which still look pretty bad), but extra water helps all problems and I don't want to water 3 times per week, forever.

We'll see what the rest of the summer brings. So far I am on the road to recovery but it looks like I will have several large dead patches that I may need to overseed in the fall. I will probably need to aerate in the fall too, and possibly do a power dethatching.

• billhill
    16 years ago

Glad to hear your lawn is recovering somewhat. You have some repair work to do this fall. Aerate and power -dethach if you feel the need before overseeding. Neither will ever be necessary again if you establish an organic lawn care turf. Cracked corn may be easier to find than corn meal. It is just as good, easy to spread, and should be used in the spring and early summer as a fungus preventer. Corn meal or cracked is a mild fertilizer and a good source of OM to feed the beneficial fungi in your soil

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz