Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chicken manure

Posted by jmac30 7 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 6, 12 at 23:41

I read some posts from back in 2007 that discussed using chicken manure on the lawn, but due to changes in the industry have to ask again.Today's commercial chicken growers windrow their litter in the house between batches. They have discovered heating it up kills pathogens. Would I have to age it, or compost it further before I use it? I know several farmers who spread it on pasture without aging it a year and it doesn't burn the grass. I even know a local farmer with a very large operation who brings in 18 wheeler loads for his corn fields. It would be simple and economic for me as I have 30k lawn and two acres of horse pasture to fertilize. I have access to a dump truck and can purchase it for $10/ton. SBM is about to break me.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chicken manure

If that chicken manure is properly composted, not simply piled up but mixed with 3 parts vegetative waste to 1 part manure, and reaches temperatures in the 140 to 150 degree range the disease pathogens will be killed off, but I would not trust commercial chicken factories to go to that much trouble since it will cut into profits.
The primary concern with using animal manures is with human exposure, not animals, so spreading animal manures on pasture is not a problem unless too much is spread at one time and runoff becomes a problem.
Keep in mind that this manure will be loaded with antibiotics which are used not only to suppress disease but often to promote growth so the animal can get to market sooner.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here