Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caesar772

Spreader settings for SBM

caesar772
16 years ago

Hello, I'm looking to switch to organics. I am currently using Scott's program. My question is regarding the spreader setting that should be used (I have a scotts speedy green type) when applying the Soy Bean Meal. Also at what rate is best to start off with? Thanks.

Comments (8)

• morpheuspa (6B/7A, E. PA)
    16 years ago

I use 5 on my Scott's Standard Broadcast and feed twice--once north/south, the second east/west.

Testing it is the only way to make sure. Try setting it to around 1/3 open (so if the top setting is 15, use 5) and see how it goes. Play with it from there.

• habiem
    16 years ago

I have mine set at 8 and that seems to get me about 12-15lbs per 1,000 sq feet with soybean meal. It almost seems like it varies each time - sometimes I have more left when I'm done, in which case I just walk back over different areas of the grass to spread it all, or grab handfulls and throw it over the planting beds.

I'll agree with morpheus that if you want an 'even' coverage, doing about half in one direction, then going back over it at a 90 degree angle is the best way to ensure you spread an even amount. The nice thing about organics is that spreading it evenly is not as critical as it is with the chemical/synthetic fertilizers.

• deerslayer
    16 years ago

The size of SBM particles can vary by producer. Spreaders within the same manufacturer can also vary slightly. It's best to calibrate your spreader for the SBM in your area. You still my find some variability like habiem.

-Deerslayer

• chris_ont
    16 years ago

Well, I was flinging the stuff around by hand like a giant CGM Tinkerbell let loose in the yard. My neighbors are pooling their money to have me certified.

Inconsistent, yes, but I'm nothing if not inconsistent. I am just too amazed by not having to worry about drift or putting it on too thickly (within reason). There is something satisfying about casting CGM or soybean meal by hand. Bare hand.

I have no idea if that is the best way to go about this, but it's not a large lawn and it's still a bit messy with anemic spots because of a crabgrass infestation that came with the property. So things are still patchy, anyway. But so far, the results I've got from the organic stuff are very pleasing to me. And more fun than walking behind a spreader :)

I'll be overseeding in the fall and so I've switched from CGM to soybean.

16 years ago

My neighbors are pooling their money to have me certified.

Mine would if they hadn't seen my results. Given that I'm coming up on lawn kill this Saturday I'm wondering what the response will be.

One of my neighbors got the round-eyed look when I tasted the SBM in the spreader. I just did it to freak her out.

• dantis
    16 years ago

I use 11-12 on the Scotty Speedy Green 2000. I measured out 1000 sq. ft., put 12 lbs in the hopper and that setting used it to the last sq. ft. Hope it helps

dan

• caesar772
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, I'll try that. By the way, when overseeding, are you still able to use starter fertilizer to get the seed to germinate or does that go against the organic way? Sorry for all the questions, also how long does one application of the SBM last for? How much time between feedings? thanks alot.

16 years ago

Thanks, I'll try that. By the way, when overseeding, are you still able to use starter fertilizer to get the seed to germinate or does that go against the organic way? Sorry for all the questions, also how long does one application of the SBM last for? How much time between feedings? thanks alot.

Shh. Don't tell anybody. Yes, you could use starter fertilizer. (Ducking to avoid the organic police)

There's nothing wrong with the occasional use of a synthetic or herbicide where it's justified--such as starting a new seed bed, or trying to deal with an explosively expanding weed problem. At least to my way of thinking, organics are a great way of making sure you don't get issues and solving the ones you do get--until they go out of control.

That having been said, you'd find that the soy nurtures new seed, and alfalfa does an excellent job, too. Synthetics typically have exactly what they state on the bag--NPK, maybe a wee bit of iron. Nothing else. An organic has NPK, plus every macro- and micro-nutrient contained in the organic material. For something like sea kelp, that's every nutrient known.

Technically, one SBM feeding in May is still working the next spring...just very slowly and very weakly. At least from what I can see, the range of good, solid feeding seems to last about three months.

I feed it with organics monthly to keep the decay curve pretty high, but others feed in May and then not until August or September. Both seem to work just fine. What you choose indicates not much except how much time you want to put into it.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner