Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
grocery store corn meal ok?

Posted by segask z10 so. cal coast (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 2, 08 at 0:39

I couldv'e sworn I've seen people post here that the corn meal you use for fertilizing and fungus control is the exact same corn meal you get at the grocery store. But at this link at dirtdoctor.com it says "Much of the cornmeal at the grocery store is just the starchy inside of the corn kernel and not effective for any of the plant uses"

http://www.dirtdoctor.com/view_question.php?id=18

at that link it says you must use 'horticultural' corn meal.

I just bought a 25 lb. bag of the grocery store stuff. Would it be a waste to put it on my lawn?

I have quite a few mushrooms/toadstools. Its a newly seeded Tall Fescue lawn (seeded this past April). When the mushrooms started popping up I figured I was overwatering, so I backed off the watering, but then after a couple weeks of letting the lawn dry out I started getting a few small dead spots in the lawn. I didn't want the brand new lawn to die, so I started watering again, but theres more mushrooms.

Or should I not worry about the mushrooms at all?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: grocery store corn meal ok?

Grocery store cornmeal is just fine, go ahead and put it down. Cornmeal is cornmeal. That article is just one in a seemingly never-ending series of screeds trying to raise the bar for "organic" care of anything, and seizing on any differences between organic and synthetic inputs, just to make the writers feel superior. Or, in this case, absurdly, between more or less "natural" inputs consisting of exactly the same stuff, just because one of them is sold in supermarkets. What a sorry waste of time the whole thing is.

I'm sorry to go on and on, and to answer your question directly, there is no reason in the world why you can't use what you have there, so go for it!

Cheers,
Paul

o

Just don't do like I did....and put down CRIMPED corn...over lawn that was just heavily AERATED, just before I topdressed it with 1/2- 3/4" of finished compost around the first week of March.

It's KNEE HIGH at the 4TH OF JULY !!!

(;
(;
(;

And apparantly the corn wasn't "crimped".....enough !!!

o

Similar to your corn field, I've had some alfalfa grow in my yard due to alfalfa pellets. Not a problem, hey, its fixing nitrogen...

o

I use plain stone ground yellow corn meal, rather than enriched corn meal. All available at your local grocer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here