Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jss0102

need help with st augustine

jss0102
14 years ago

I recently bought a new home in Orlando. The first couple of months the lawn was in good condition then it got raided with chinch bugs. I got rid of the bugs but now my lawn looks all dried up. You can see the dried roots in certain areas and spots. I did lay down some corn meal about 2-3 weeks ago but still the same problem. Should I just leave it the way it is and then deal with it this fall? Any ideas or suggestions on what I should do

Comments (5)

• skoot_cat
    14 years ago

I can almost guarantee you have damage from sod webworms, not chinch bugs. Do you see off-white moths flying erratically when you walk/mow the lawn?

About the damaged areas; now is the time to take care of them. You have a few options. 1. This is a must, Apply some SBM @ 15-20lbs per 1000sqft, or Alfalfa @ 20-30 lbs per 1000. Your lawn needs some serious nutrients to help it bounce back. 2. Optional- Apply 1/4" layer compost or topsoil to the effected areas. 3. Spray molasses @ 4oz per gallon to cover 1000sqft monthly.

• jss0102
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I did see a couple flying around but I thought that they were butterflies. I cant find any SBM around my area is there another option? Im going to check the local feed stores but the last time that I checked they were out.

• dchall_san_antonio
    14 years ago

Be sure you are watering deeply at least once a week. If you have not been watering weekly, and have not gotten rain weekly, then your lawn might be gone and you'll have to buy new grass. That is something you can do any time of year. Deep watering means you're watering for about an hour or more in each zone.

• nativesnut
    14 years ago

St. Augustine does not do well in full sun and hot areas. It likes at least some partial shade at some point in the day.

You should also water the lawn deeply every 1-2 weeks, as has been noted. Watering your lawn but not letting it soak in deeply will just encourage weeds and not do the grass optimum good.

If the area of your lawn in question is sunny/hot/dry, then you should consider either:

A) planting some kind of shade tree or trees (not necessarily deep shade - just dappled).

B) Replace the St. Augustine with something hardier.

• dchall_san_antonio
    14 years ago

St. Augustine does not do well in full sun and hot areas. It likes at least some partial shade at some point in the day.

I've never seen anyone say that before. Yes it does do will with some shade, but it does very well in full sun. In fact it does incredibly well in full sun...as long as it gets at least weekly water. If it is in full sun during a drought and you are only watering every other week, it will not survive. Then nativesnut's suggestions will be very helpful.

Sponsored