Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skoot_cat

Sod Webworm damage - Serious -

skoot_cat
14 years ago

So, the Sod Webworms are back with a vengeance. I get damage from them ever year and Im usually able to keep them under control with Thuricide (Bacillus Thuringensis). Unfortunately this year they showed up during a rainy 2 weeks and cause serious damage during this time. I knew they were present, but I was unable to apply the Thuricide because the rain would have just washed it away. The rains finally stop and I applied some on Sunday, and reapplied on Tuesday. My fear is that its too late as this stuff should be applied when the larvae are very young.

Approximately 3/4 of my backyard has been seriously damaged. Most of the grass blades have been chewed down to the stolons. There are still some green, growing blades in between, but very sparse.

So what should I do now? Is there anything I could apply to kill the adult larvae? Should I fertilize?

Comments (8)

• Kimmsr
    14 years ago

There are several species of moths that lay eggs that become the Sod Webworm, but control seems to be using the Bacillus thurigiensis and parasitic nematodes, mowing the grass high, and watering properly. The link to this from the University of Rhode Island may be of some help.

Here is a link that might be useful: About Sod Webworms

• skoot_cat
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The only downside to BT from my research is it must be applied when the larvae are young to be fully effective. I first noticed the damage about 2 weeks ago.

• hoeandshovel
    14 years ago

"With a vengeance" is an understatement... I am having an awful time with sod web worms and came over to this forum hoping to find an organic solution.

This is the first year I've used organic fertilizer on the lawn. I'm not spraying any pesticides on my shrubs or flowers (for a couple of years now) but I'm having a difficult time with the lawn. Recently dug up a large area of sod damaged from chinch bugs.

Now the sod web worms are chewing it to the roots-- like they do every year in the summer.

Will keep reading for some answers. (I'm in Hillsborough County, FL and have St. Augustine grass).
    Thanks.
    Meems

• organicnoob
    14 years ago

"I am having an awful time with sod web worms and came over to this forum hoping to find an organic solution."

I believe neem oil is effective against sod webworm.

• dchall_san_antonio
    14 years ago

One of the natural predators for caterpillars of all varieties is the paper wasp. If you are currently killing those critters, stop doing that. I only have one wasp nest currently. It is rebuilding after a remodeling a couple years ago and is only 3 inches across. I had three nests before the remodel and they were up to 10 inches across.

You might also put a bird bath in the yard somewhere near where the webworms are.

• skoot_cat
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I dont kill the paper wasps and the bird bath is an Idea, but im looking for something I can spray or apply asap.

What about:
    1. Pyrethrum
    2. Insecticidal Soap

Any other suggestions

• skoot_cat
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Seriously? This is it?

• dchall_san_antonio
    14 years ago

My understanding is that pyrethrum is a very dangerous substance. Sure it's organic but so is cobra venom, poison ivy, and hemlock.

I have only heard good things about BT. My understanding is that any caterpillar eating one bite of BT will get the equivalent of lock jaw and will stop feeding immediately. I've never used it. It might need frequent reapplications???

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County