Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
fungus id? with several pics

Posted by alabama_lowlife Zone 8 Southeast (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 7, 07 at 9:27

yesterday evening when i was cutting the grass, i noticed several areas of fungus on my grass blades. the areas, at this time, are all on the slope from the ditch to the road. we've had ALOT of rain lately and my yard is the lowest in this particular group of homes.

yesterday, the fungus appeared white with a slight purple tint. this morning only one spot remained white looking while the others appear very dark, nearly black.

i've never tried any type of lawn care other than mowing infrequently until this year. i began an organic program in about april and have applied SBM twice. i've been closely mowing the centipede (i guess it's centipede) and watering deeply once a week....except for the past 3 weeks in which we have been getting rain about every 2-3 days it seems.

i suppose i should start with a baking soda mix and spread some corn meal? any other tips?

here are 2 resized pictures and links to 2 much larger close up pictures.

big pic 1

big pic 2

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: fungus id? with several pics

That's one of the many species of slime mold (not really a mold or fungus). Not harmful to your grass...you can hold off on the corn meal and baking soda! ;-)

Use a hose to spray it off or a broom, once it dries.

o

sweet, thanks

o

Just to confirm what rhizo says, I had the same thing recently and someone (probably rhizo) told me not to worry about it. Sure enough, it didn't spread anymore and didn't cause any damage at all. Looks really scary when you first see it though!

o

I love being the bearer of good news!

o

Had the same stuff show up in my yard and nearly had a heart attack. But just like they said it disappears in a couple of days and causes no harm whatsoever. Live and let live.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here