Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stbonner_gw

mixing Centipede and St. Augustine

stbonner
13 years ago

I have a St. Augustine lawn that was sodded in nine years ago. My yard is mostly shady, but I have an area out by the road that is hot and dry. I have been treating my lawn organically for the last two years, before that we were using conventional lawn amendments. I have multiple problems going on in my lawn, including fungus in a few areas (so far this year so good), crabgrass, and a terrible, weedy area in the hot area of my yard that is consistently awful looking. Every year when it gets really hot the grass dies back, the cinch bugs move in, and we have big dead areas in the front of the yard.

My yard service guys offered to replace some of my sod out in my hot, dry area of the yard. They replaced this, we went on vacation, and when I came back the new grass looks terrific. The only problem is that they put centipede grass out - not St. Augustine. I'm not happy about this, but honestly, I've never had St. Augustine grass look this good in that area.

I guess my question is - how big a problem am I going to have in caring for two types of grass, and is it going to look disjointed? At this point, I have to say that I'm pretty burnt out with my St. Augustine grass and it's endless problems. The only year that I had really beautiful grass was the year that we paid a lawn expert to take care of spraying, etc., and I was mortified at the amount of chemicals that it took to make my yard look good. I'm not willing to go down that road again. Suggestions?

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area