Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shankins123_gw

OKC Dan...?

shankins123
15 years ago

I posted this on the Oklahoma Board, and Dawn suggested I try to find you over here :)

Question for you...I'm in The Village - I moved back into my rental home (of 20 yrs) following divorce. So, I get to do this all by myself now! Fun stuff and good therapy.

Anyway...my front yard is a (seemingly) sterile mess. The soil is dusty and shallow, and the yard abounds with weeds of all sorts. I'm not sure I could tell you what grass might be in there. One neighbor has short, finely-bladed Tiff Bermuda (my strip abutting his is filled with Dallis grass)...the other neighbor's grass(that has a small strip right next to my lawn)...I'm not sure what sort of grass that is. All these years I've thought my lawns were Fescue, but that may not be correct. The grass is medium-bladed, and spreads by long runners that throw roots down every few inches.

My backyard is much better...it has a shallow trench down the middle, but I'll gradually fill that in over time. It has a fair amount of "real grass", that could take over if encouraged.

I've read of your success with soybean meal, deep waterings, etc. Should I start doing that in the front yard (especially) even now? I plan on using the dry molasses or sugar to rot out the Dallis grass (I've about given up on hand-digging it!!). Any other thoughts on what I can do to bolster this patch and prepare it for winter? Thank you so much for your practical help!

Comments (3)

Sponsored