Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
petewh

Organic schedule for Bermuda

petewh
14 years ago

Hi,

I want to ditch Truegreen/Chemlawn and start doing lawn care the organic way. I've searched the forum and have found stuff on yearly schedules but most are directed for cooler season grasses like fescue. Most of us in the Atlanta area have bermuda. I've read a lot about applying sugar, CGM, Alphalpha, top soiling yearly, mowing high, watering less, etc. If someone could tell me what to do for my bermuda on a month to month basis to get me started I would appreciate it. I'm real concerned about weeds. I have a terrible Poana problem in the spring(no thanks to Truegreen).

Thanks for your help

Pete

)

Comments (8)

• skoot_cat
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Forget everything you read about fesue/cool season grasses. None of those apply for Bermuda.

Fertilizing:
    Basically you should feed your bermuda every 30-45 days during the growing season, spring-fall. For you first feeding in spring you could use Alfalfa pellets @ 20-30lbs per 1000sqft for a complete balance of Nutrients. After that and during the rest of the growing season, Soybean meal and/or CGM will give you the most bang for your buck. Apply them @ 10-20lbs per 1000sqft.

Mowing:
    Bermuda should be mowed low and often with a sharp blade. Preferable between 1/2" and 1-1/2"

Watering
    No more than once a week during summer months. Apply 3/4-1" of water during the early morning hours. Do a search for "tuna can test" to determine how long you need to run your irrigation.

Also do a google search for Bermuda Bible and read it several times.

the link below is also very helpful.

Here is a link that might be useful: okcdan's lawn

• redvq
    14 years ago

Hi, Petewh.

Skoot_ca hit it on the head except the watering part is tricky here in GA imo. The general watering part is correct, but for us in GA, it's hard to follow. Sometimes I had no choice but to water twice, sometimes three times a week for an acceptable lawn. There have been times when I supplied a thorough amount of water on Monday, only to come back on Wednesday to a lawn that looked really thirsty. I'm in GA like you and this year officially made 3 full years of organic lawn care for me and that watering part is a pain.

Basically what you might have to do is water in zones. This is the first time I'm trying this out on my lawn but the process makes sense. For example water the backyard for 15-20 minutes,Stop, Then water the side for 15-20mins, then stop. Then water the front for 15-20 mins.Stop. Then go back to the backyard, and water that again for 15-20 mins, then the sides, then front again, etc. I do this sequence 3 times, once a week. Instead of watering one spot for 45minutes - 1 hour straight, break it up into sessions. But you may have to alter for your lawn. Basically you want this soil, to accept the water. Our soil has the tendency to accept only a small amount of water and then the rest will just roll over the surface. When I first started, I would set the sprinkler on and let it sprinkle for a while in one spot only to come back and see a river running down my backyard. I found out that my lawn accepts about 15 minutes or so of water at a time before the rest of it flows down into my neighbor's yard.

Your builder probably did what a lot do here, that's level off your property with fill dirt(RED Clay) and throw down some bermuda sods over buried rocks, bricks, glass, flooring, etc. So imo you might also need more organic matter and aeration... I know I did and still do to this day.

I would like to add again that I'm testing that watering session method above out right now, I will see how it goes. I do want to say that my cousin here in GA waters daily in the morning and evening and his lawn currently looks better than mines, but we will see how this plays out because in general watering once a week promotes deep roots. Watering everyday supplies the needed water supply for weeds that like to grow in the first 1-2 inches of the soil.

Weeds: I feel your pain. Last year I thought I had weeds under control. Now this year weeds are growing even in the thickest spots where the bermuda is thriving. I hand pick...

Mowing: Bermuda is at its best when it's kept under an inch imo. To successfully cut under an inch you need a Reel Mower. I bought a manual reel mower from American Lawn Mower Company with 7 blades off amazon, but that won't help you if you have acres lol. At that point, if its in your budget, maybe check craiglist or somewhere for some sales on powered reels. If you were to try and get one I know a guy who has 15+ years experience sharpening, fixing, and maintaining golf course reels. Before you try to buy a powered reel mower check the net for general reviews on that model.

PS... Model your lawn after okcdan :) His lawn is amazing.

• petewh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for your thoughtful responses. I'm worried about the watering deal. The back yard is no problem but the thought of dragging a spinkler around my front yard makes me sick. It would just be too much work. I can do is once a week but that's it.

I checked out the prices on those powered reel mowers...YIKES!!!!!! I'll look for a deal. In the mean time I'll set the old Toro at it's lowest setting. I am going to replace this odd ball shark tooth blade that I paid a lot for a Home Depot with a standard blade that I'm going to make sure is always very sharp.

Off to the feed and seed for 100lbs of Soybean meal.

Thanks again,

Pete

• blzz
    14 years ago

Hello, This is good information provided. However, I would add that soil microbiology is the most important factor to consider when switching from a synthetic program to an organic one. Conventional fertilizing programs are based completely on NPK application rates (primarily N). Using organic practices the focus becomes less about lbs of nitrogen applied and more about building and maintaining a healthy soil. The addition of composts, beneficial bacteria and fungi, humic acids, micro nutrients etc.. will do as much for your grass as adding natural nitrogen will.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to choose an organic fertilizer

• okcdan
    14 years ago

Here's my 2 cents -- throw the soybean meal to it once a month -- water it deeply (very deeply) every 10-14 days -- the bermuda can take it... has very deep roots -- I only water twice a month... and then only if mother nature hasn't been helping... even in 100+ degree heat --- I'm maintaining @ 1/2" these days...

Dan

{{gwi:108051}}

• wrager
    14 years ago

While we're discussing mowing Bremuda:
    I thought I could just buy a reel mower and start cutting at .5" and be happy (I have a Tru-Cut and a Brill). What is being left out is that you need a very flat surface to cut that low, even with a reel. I have to cut at about 1.5" or the high spots are always brown (at anything lower). I won't even get into trying to use a beastly, heavy Tru-Cut on steep slopes.

• redvq
    14 years ago

wrager, raises a good point about the slopes. I have slopes but lucky for me the manual push reel takes care of them because it basically doesn't weight anything :)

Most people that actually try to maintain Bermuda and not let it go to a weed field cut between 1/2 inch - 2 inches. For petewh, I guess it depends on your preference. For me, I'm aiming towards golf fairway lol. But What is an acceptable lawn to you? You could probably mow at 2 inches with your toro and be happy. I caution though that with most rotary mowers you will probably scalp bermuda if you mow at the lowest settings the rotary mower will go. Maybe try to test cut around 1.5-2 inches on flat surfaces with the toro. If you have some uneven/higher surfaces, you will most likely have to raise the mower to get those areas.

In general hybrid Bermuda is suppose to take on its normal prostrate growing habit. Just don't let it get too tall or it will start thinning out. gl

• dchall_san_antonio
    14 years ago

For those of you with bumpy soil, go to the lawn forum and search for the thread about leveling a bermuda lawn. Throw my screen name into the search if it helps. You might search on "leveling sand bermuda dchall_san_antonio" NOW IS THE TIME to get going on a bermuda leveling project. You can have a putting green surface. okcdan's is an example.

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA