Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grubs

Posted by hutchanne z6/S.Indiana (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 5, 10 at 10:36

Is it the end for my organic lawn, if I use Grubx. Each year I lose a large portion of my lawn. I tried all the organic methods no luck. So here we go again. Grass is turning brown, especially the creeping fescue (in shade), which turns some during heat and humidity. I irrigate and the rest of the lawn looks great. Midnight/rye/fescue. Haven't seen the insects in the soil yet, but in my flower garden infested. A lot of moths flying up during mowing. So tempted to go with ..Grubx. Been organic for 6 years.. Is it too late now for Grubx anyway. Just asking, I know this is the organic forum. Any advice Thx

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grubs

Most of the grubs are now pupating and/or emerging as the adult beetles so applying some poison to control them now will do nothing. Grubs are the larva of beetles and if you have small white, or light brown, moths flying up from the turf you probably have another problem, not grub related so treating for grubs would be a waste of your money since that is not the problem.
If you dig into the turf at the edge of the "bad" area and make a 1 foot square (_) type of cut and roll back the sod and count the number of grubs you find (10 or more per square foot is a problem, 5 or less is not), and if you also take a largish can (a 3 pound coffee can works well) and cut both ends out and work that can into the soil a bit, at the edge of the problem area again, and partially fill that with water and find a lot of wee, whitish colored wiggly things floating in that water, that is your problem, the larva of those moths.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here