Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Aerate duration after organic start

Posted by fescue_planter NE (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 6, 07 at 10:37

Anyone have any personal experience with how long they waited to quit aerating after they began an organic program? My lawn is 2 years old, mostly sodded and partly seeded (following covenant guidelines) and has been aerated both in the spring and fall; the last time being last April. It's a clay soil and I dropped my first load of soy meal (about 19lbs/1K) late June and have been hitting it with a compost tea via pump sprayer every weekend. It's been hot and dry for the last month and doesn't look like it's going to change anytime soon. Should I give it one more aeration this fall, or should I continue next year as well?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Aerate duration after organic start

You certainly may if you wish to aerate and feel that it needs it (or you see the symptoms of poor aeration).

Two years in, mine definitely doesn't need it. I'll be doing it at least once more anyway.

o
RE: Aerate duration after organic start

My first organic mentor on GardenWeb aerates and composts every fall. Aeration has nothing to do with your choice of soil amendments, it has to do with air in the soil.

Back in about '02 I got into this discussion with a lawn care provider in Phoenix. At that time I was convinced that organic lawns didn't not need aeration and that chemical lawns did. After considerable heat and some light, I learned a lot from that guy. I have come to understand that water control is the key to aeration. Assuming you don't have soggy soil with an 18-wheeler driving the air out of it daily, you can manage your soil air by keeping the soil moist enough to promote proper fungal growth. It is the fungi in the soil that keep the soil fluffed up and open to air (and water). If your soil is hard when dry and soft when wet, that's what you're looking for.

Water deeply and infrequently. I water for 1-3 hours, depending, and I do that only once a week unless it rains.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here