Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msfixit_gw

weeding and bare spots

msfixit
16 years ago

Hi,

New to organic lawn care. In the process of hand weeding and see that this is leaving many bare spots in the lawn. Someone said pull a weed, drop a seed but how do I reseed in these spots (some the size of a small plate) and keep them watered or do I not water and hope for the best? It's far to many to hand water and don't want to water the whole lawn every day in this heat.I am planning to overseed this fall but hate the look of these spots. I think this organic lawn care is making me O.C. Thanks.

Comments (2)

• rutgers1
    16 years ago

I am in the same place as you. In fact, I just returned from a half hour pulling weeds in my lawn. A woman walked by and told me that it can be an OC type thing, and I was quick to agree!

The battle against weeds will never be won until the lawn is 100% filled in with tall 3"+ turf that crowds out weeds. As long as there is room (bare spots), the weeds will grow. dropping seeds down during the summer is an iffy thing, as odds are they won't grow. But if you do drop them, do the following:
    1) take some topsoil or dirt from your yard
    2) mix seeds in
    3) drop a handful in each bare spot
    *I have also had luck with just dropping seed and roughing it up a bit, but the "mix" above has worked best.
    ** Do you know what type of grass you have? Don't repair bare spots with any old grass seed. If you do, the difference in color will be noticeable. If you are in doubt, consider asking a professional or buying a rye/fescue/kbg mix so that it won't look TOO out-of-place.

Here is my plan....
    1) Like you, I am new to this, so I am doing the OC thing and pulling weeds this summer. I hate it, but the lawn looks really good when it is weed-free. I tend to do a section of the lawn each week so it isn't overwhelming.
    2) The grass is at least 3" high, which obscures most of my little bare spots. My larger bare spots by the curb are getting attacked by weeds, and I can't really do anything about it.
    3) Knowing the importance of filling the bare spots and strengthening the turf, I am planning on seeding over and over again until I get the lawn I want this fall. August 1, September 1, October 1 if I have to. I am adding some extra KBG to the mix so that remaining holes fill themselves over the course of the next year.
    4) Other than that, I am continuing my normal organic program (soy bean meal, compost, etc.). From the street (the OTHER side of the street, lol), my lawn looks great. It might be the greenest on the block. Close up, there are some trouble spots, but nothing that I can't fix over the next year. Considering it was nearly wiped out from grubs when I moved in last fall, I am very happy with the progress.

• msfixit
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Rutgers1,

Thanks for the info. I will try your suggestions and hope for the best. I also bought some soy bean meal (paid 11.00 here in CT. for 50lbs) which I plan to use at some point soon. Hoping to see the end of the hand weeding one of these days though I doubt it!

Sponsored
Cumberland Custom Homes
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Northern Virginia's Green Residential Builder & Renovator