Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cutlas72

Lawn patterns

cutlas72
16 years ago

Hey folks...

I've noticed in a couple of yards I've driven by, that there is a distinct diagonal pattern in the grass. It's not bold or anything, just a series of diagonal lines in the cut. How is this done? And is it difficult to do?

Looks very cool. TIA for the responses.

BTW, I posted this in the other Lawncare forum, too. Hoping to find someone with knowledge of this.

Comments (6)

• habiem
    16 years ago

cutlas,

Is it this type of diagonal pattern, or something different?
    {{gwi:1104171}}

This is just a product of mowing the lawn in a diagonal pattern. This was early on in the year, so you can't see the cross pattern, but I generally alternate the angle I cut so that it makes a nice criss-cross pattern on the lawn.

Commercial mowers will leave a more distinct pattern than this - usually much wider, but with a regular homeowner mower, you can get a pattern.

The real key is having a healthy lawn. The greener the lawn, the more distinct the pattern is (in my opinion). My bluegrass is cut to 4", which certainly helps the pattern show up, too. The pattern is created by the blades being pushed in opposite directions as the mower passes over them. This allows them to reflect light differently, thereby making the cutting pattern noticeable. Believe it or not, this is the exact same principle used in baseball stadiums to create the great patterns you see there.

I've not personally tried it, but I heard someone mention one time that you can put a piece of rebar in the little black flap on the back of the mower to help 'encourage' the grass to lay in the direction you are mowing. That would make the pattern even more noticeable, though I'd be careful not to mash it down too much.

• okcdan
    16 years ago

Hi,

It's called lawn striping. It works best on cool season grasses that are mowed up around 3" or 4" and doesn't work near as well on say bermuda cut at 1/2".

Here's a couple images of some:
    {{gwi:116719}}

{{gwi:101761}}

{{gwi:101759}}

They're put on the lawn typically using a roller attachment on the mower. Here's a pic of one attached to a riding mower:

Check out Big League Lawns for info on their pricey rollers, or you can google lawn striping and get quite a few hits.

Happy Independence Day!

Dan

• cutlas72
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yeah guys, thanks for the pics. That is exactly the thing I was talking about.

Unfortunately I have Zoysia which will be mowed at 1", so I guess this isn't an option for me. But at least I'll be able to get that dense, carpet look.
    Thanks again.

• habiem
    16 years ago

before you rule it out for sure, check out lawnstriper.com and also ask them some questions. I bet it will still work at one inch - I guarantee baseball fields are cut to less than an inch.

• wmas1960
    12 years ago

This appears to be an old topic but I just came upon it. I just bought a house last fall and this spring, it will be my first yard, in a real long time to care for. as I was doing research for the new mower that I just bought, I noticed that Toro has a similar attachment. It holds about 30# of sand and drags behind a mower. It can even be attached to your walk behind. As you mow, the weight bends the grass in the direction that you are mowing and will leave the alternating patterns in the lawn.

Part of me thinks it would be fun but then, I don't want to get those looks from the neighbors. :)

• dchall_san_antonio
    12 years ago

You better have perfect grass to begin with. Striping a weed patch is less than satisfying.

Sponsored