Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rutgers1_gw

OK, the experiment is set

rutgers1
16 years ago

For those who missed the other thread, I am conducting an experiment of sorts with corn meal gluten. Those in the science community would probably laugh at my lack of scientific controls, but I think it will be pretty good for a layman.

This morning, I set up three planters of soil, each labeled as follows:

planter #1: grass seed (on top of soil) + corn meal gluten

planter #2: grass seed (with layer of topsoil on top of it... seeds slightly buried) + corn meal gluten

planter #3: grass seed on top of soil (NO corn meal gluten)

Although I am not testing with weeds necessarily, I think the affect on the grass seedlings will help me determine how much affect corn meal gluten has. I set up two planters with corn meal gluten (one with seeds on top, one with seeds slightly buried) because I wanted to see if the corn meal gluten would affect seeds/seedlings that started out a bit below the surface.

I did my best to ensure that each container had the same amount of grass seed and corn meal gluten. However, it was not scientific at all, meaning that I did not count seeds or anything - I just eyeballed it.

Obviously, I am hoping that the bin with just the grass seed grows in completely while the other bins with corn meal gluten struggle. If there is a super duper noticable difference, I think I will end the experiments and declare corn meal gluten a success. If there isn't much a difference, I will probably try to figure out a variation of the experiment to see if there are any conditions which would make it work.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Comments (12)

• rutgers1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

By the way, I saw this interesting experiment done by a high school kid:
    http://www.hort.iastate.edu/gluten/high1.html

The only thing I would have liked to see is how many seeds would have germinated in the various compost mixtures WITHOUT the corn gluten meal. Perhaps there was something wrong with his compost, and the compost was causing the seeds not to germinate.

• chris_ont
    16 years ago

Are you using topsoil from the garden, or potting medium?

If you're not busy ;) I'd like to see the experiment expanded, testing the efficacy of CGM and something like soybean on soil quality.
    Using topsoil from the same area of the garden, germinate grass. Once this is established, treat one pot with compost tea?), another with soybean meal, maybe a third with GCM, to see which has the best long term effect on the grass.
    If I weren't so lazy, I'd try that myself :)

Looking forward to seeing your results, 'scientific' or not!

• rutgers1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I am just using some topsoil that I bought at a store. Seems like your everday generic topsoil....Perhaps I should have used soil from my yard.

Your followup idea sounds great. I think my first priority is to figure out what type of effect the corn gluten meal has, and once I am satisfied with that, I definitely plan on testing some other things. Luckily, I have access to a neat grow light setup, so I can move the experiment indoors if things are still progressing when the weather takes a turn for the worse.

• dchall_san_antonio
    16 years ago

Be sure you press the seed into the soil so you have good soil-to-seed contact. The seed needs the soil contact to maintain moisture control.

I like the follow up idea, too.

Nandina did something similar to this with ordinary corn meal. It will be interesting to see what your results are.

• luckybottom
    16 years ago

Love that you are doing this. Thanks!

The follow up I am most interested in is when the seeds don't germinate in the CMG, wait a period of say 3-4 weeks and try again. This would try to answer the question: How long after using CMG can one effectively reseed?

• cobalt_blue
    16 years ago

Very cool experiment! I think this kind of tinkering could teach a guy a lot about things. Shoot I may have to try a few things. One could plant 3 or so tubs of grass and try different amendments and fertilizers on them to see what works best ect, ect ......

• rutgers1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Update......I see a few blades of grass in all three tubs, no one less than the others. At first I was bummed to see them growing in the CMG tubs, but then I remembered reading that the CMG doesn't stop them from starting, rather it stops them from establishing their roots, or something like that. So, if I am right, they will start to grow, then die.

Does anyone brighter than me know if the above is true?

• rutgers1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Interesting update. The two tubs with CMG have MORE grass growing right now than the one with just dirt and seed. It is still early though, as a lot of the seeds haven't germinated yet. Oddly, the one weed growing is in a CMG tub.

It is probably too early to jump to any conclusions, but my guess is that the CMG acted as an early fertilizer. Of course, if it works as planned, it will hurt the root development of the seedlings in the long run and eventually kill them.

• rutgers1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Interesting update! Planter/tub #2 from above (seeds slightly buried initially, with CGM spread on top of soil) was doing well - probably better than the other two. Then, this morning, I came outside to see about 2/3 of the grass blades laying down on the soil. By 5PM today, most of those ones were brown. At first I thought that maybe an animal or something jumped onto the tub and pushed them down last night, but maybe the CGM was actually working!

What do you think?

• iowa50126
    16 years ago

Iowa State University did a 12 year test of CGM as a herbicide and fertilizer on KBG from 1991 to 2002. CGM used as a herbicide is licensed by a Prof at Iowa State so they had a vested interest in the test.

If I read the data correctly, CGM works... but you need a lot of it to get results which could prove expensive.

Their numbers indicate that you need at least 40lbs per 1000 sqft to control crabgrass, 60lbs per 1000 sqft for dandelion control and a whopping 80lbs per 1000 sqft to control clover.

CGM was a so-so fertilizer unless you applied at least 60 to 80 lbs per 1000 sqft.

To look at their results click the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: ISU CGM Crabgrass Control Study

• rutgers1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It isn't that I don't believe their research. I just wanted to try it myself and see what happens. Considering results have been so mixed on this board and others, I thought that I would have more faith, as well as more willingness to pay the big bucks for CMG, if I saw it work in my little test.

Surprising to see how much (according to the link you provided) CMG has to be applied in order to get the top level results. It is a bit disappointing. With all of this said, part of me thinks that one would get as good - if not better - results by simply following a regular organic fertilizer routine while overseeding religiously. When I get weeds in my lawn, a bare spot - or a less dense area of grass - is usually the main factor. Cut down on the bare/thin spots, cut down on the weeds.

• rutgers1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OK, a negative turn...The blades in all three tubs - including the one without any CMG - are starting to go limp. Ugh. It is early, though, so I will give it time. A lot of the seeds in my rye/fescue/kbg mix haven't even germinated yet.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!