Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
freyja5

3 weeks after 1st Alfalfa application - questions

freyja5
14 years ago

I applied my very first organic fertilizer (alfalfa at 20lb per 1000sf) about three weeks ago. I had read that it didn't really matter if you apply completely evenly (unlike chemical ferts) so I did it by hand and was a little haphazard since I was rushed at the time (wanting to get it done before I left town for a while).

Now, my front lawn is looking quite a bit greener than it has all year (woo hoo), but there are several much greener areas/patches throughout it (and still some thin/drier areas that need attention). Watering is even, since it is a small, square lot and easy to monitor water coverage.

I was just wondering if it could be that those greener areas received more alfalfa, in which case, it does sort of matter if I don't apply somewhat evenly? Or could there be other issues, such as the less-green areas are still struggling to come back from concentrations of herbicide that was sprayed for many weeds earlier in the summer before I chose to go organic?

Is it common to see some areas of the lawn benefiting from a organic fertilizer application before other areas? Or does this indicate an uneven microbe population? (or something else wrong with the soil).

The grass is a mix of perennial rye, fescue and KBG, I believe. Last year, I accidentally filled in some areas with fescue only, so I do have some patches of very, very fine blades (which seem to be much more noticable now that it has greened up and I am mowing high). I water 1x a week for 1" (or as closely as I can).

Thanks.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus