Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
storey3

Free Compost at Transfer Stations

storey3
16 years ago

Does anyone use compost that is available at the city or town dump (aka transfer station here)? I ordered some SBM and am ready to go totally organic after many baby steps there. I know my lawn could use some microbes introduce into it and also have several bare spots due to washout. I'd like to top dress and fill in the wash out areas with compost and just found out it's free at our transfer station. Does anyone use this type of compost? Is it full of weeds or debris as a rule? I'd hate to introduce a new round of weeds or rocks/sticks since I already have plenty in my 2 year old new construction lawn. I'm sure each town differs but would love to hear any opinions or experiences with the free stuff. Of course, someday I hope to "cook" my own but that's for another day...

Comments (4)

• billhill
    16 years ago

Municipal compost varies widely. Compost from your town is probably great stuff. I get a lot of my compost free, from our city compost dump. It is mostly unfinished leaf mold. I have used it directly on my back yard, but prefer to finish it in my compost bin. Go have a look at your towns black gold. Take some home and try it. Some concerns might be: unknown pesticide residue, not finished enough. I have a gold mine of free compost, browns, greens, nearly finished, and finished humus if one digs deep enough. This morning, I opened my bin, pulled a bunch out, turned it a little, watered it and replaced what I took out with new stuff from our city piles. Look at that barrel of fresh green grass, buckets of leaf mold. Mmmmm mmmmm good. And of course, it was free.{{gwi:112491}}

• storey3
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow! Lucky you and great idea to add it to your own.
    DH went and picked up a bucket full today. It's loaded with worms, something I rarely see in my yard. It is a bit rough looking. I may dumpt it in my washed out areas, rake it out, and see how it looks. I figure if it's bad, I can topdress with good stuff when I do the rest of the lawn in order to re-seed/overseed.

Is this a good plan, do you think? Do you have concerns about pesticide residue or bugs? I accidently posted this on another forum first and got feedback about this. I hadn't thought about that.
    Thanks!

• billhill
    16 years ago

I think you will be OK with what you have. Spread some around on your turf. Sweep or rake it in a little. The microbes will multiply. The worms will come. Fungus and worms will aeriate your soil. I really do not have any concern about pesticide in the compost or greens from our city dump. Bugs have not been a problem either. I have used the partially finished leaf compost on new seedings and on established turf with excellent results. I prefer to add greens and cook the free compost a little more before I use it on my front lawn and gardens.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Page

• alabama_lowlife
    16 years ago

a word of caution on filling holes with compost. from lurking on this forum, i've read that compost should not be used to fill holes because it will decay and the hole will sink back in. my understanding is that the holes or washout areas should be filled with dirt and only top dressed with compost.

someone please correct me if i've misunderstood this.

Sponsored