Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chueh_gw

Corn Gluten vs Corn Gluten Meal??

chueh
16 years ago

Hi,

Usually the prices for Corn Gluten Meals are expensive around $30-45 per 50-65 lb bag. I asked one of the supplier the price of it. They answered: Corn Gluten, $5.50 per 50 lb bag. I kept asking the lady who answered the phone if Corn Gluten the same as Corn Gluten Meal or not. She said that they are the same. I don't think so, but I don't know. I just wonder why there is such price discrepancy. Are they the same?? Thanks

Comments (19)

• rutgers1
    16 years ago

I found this on the web:

"Corn gluten feed should not be confused with corn gluten meal. Corn gluten meal has 2 times the protein content of corn gluten feed. Also the protein in corn gluten feed is degraded relatively rapidly in the rumen versus the protein of corn gluten meal is degraded relatively slowly (more by-pass potential)."

http://beef.osu.edu/library/gluten.html

Here is a link that might be useful: source

• chueh
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Rutgers, thank you so much for your answer and effort including the link. You answered my question completely. Thank you so much...........

• texasredhead
    16 years ago

I'm afraid the information given by Rutgers is a bunch of bunk. There are not two different products. What we know as corn gluten meal is a byproduct of the wet milling of corn to produce oil and syrup. It has been used for decades as cattle feed. Quite some time ago Iowa State University reseachers discovered the preemergent qualities of CGM and patented the product. So today, any CGM package that claims to be a preemergent must pay ISU a royality and is therefore more expensive. However, you can go to any feed store and buy the same product labeled as cattle feed and have identical results for a cheaper price.

• billhill
    16 years ago

Texasredhead, take another look at Rutgers link source ? I gleaned from that two different products are available. CGM and the cheaper corn gluten feed. Quote from the Ohio State U article "The domestic corn processing for high-fructose corn syrup and ethanol has made available to beef cattle producers products such as corn gluten feed, corn gluten meal and distillers grains. The focus of this article is corn gluten feed." Now I'm confused, CGM is or is not the same as corn gluten feed ? I think NOT the same.

• texasredhead
    16 years ago

I am a graduate of The Ohio State University. However, in all my own research and purchasing, I have never encountered two different types of corn gluten products available to the general public. In the recent dog food scare of tainted products from China, tainted gluten products were the main cause. I purchase CGM from two different feed mills in the Ft.Worth, Texas, area, and both sell CGM marked as cattle feed.

• fescue_planter
    16 years ago

I'm going with texasredhead on this. Any research I've done does not distinguish between the two names. Perhaps Corn Gluten is simply a broad term of the material; adding 'meal' to it only further defines it as easily consumed grain-sized material.

• bpgreen
    16 years ago

If you search for "corn gluten feed" in Google, you'll get about 116,000 hits. I clicked a few at random, mostly from university ag departments and several of them pointed out that there is a difference between corn gluten meal and corn gluten feed. One big difference was the protein content, which ranged from 18% to 25% for CGF in the articles I read. That's substantially lower than the protein in CGM.

• texasredhead
    16 years ago

As I have mentioned before, there are a plethora of organic nurseries in the Dallas/Ft.Worth area which only carry corn gluten meal. The next time I am in one of the local feed stores I will ask them what they carry besides CGM. As more corn is converted to ethonal, I think the use of corn products and byproducts for organic use will diminish or become increasingly expensive.

• takadi
    15 years ago

So does it make any difference at all whether you buy CGM or Corn Gluten?

• frankslawncare
    14 years ago

hi there , if anyone could help it will be greatly appreciated ,, i recently bought 2 tons of low pro corn gluten the feed store told me it was meant for lawns and weed care ,, today i find out it is 21% protein ,will it still take care of the lawns i been given the run around please help thanks

• dchall_san_antonio
    14 years ago

So does it make any difference at all whether you buy CGM or Corn Gluten?
    Without seeing them, I think there is no difference. Corn gluten is always ground up into a powder and called corn gluten meal.

frankslawncare, what are you concerned about? Sounds like an excellent material to me? If you want to send me a few hundred pounds, I can test it for you ;-)

• Kimmsr
    14 years ago

Corn Gluten, Corn Gluten Meal, and Corn Gluten Feed are interchangeable terms refering to the resulting byproduct of the corn milling process. Some places refer to the addition of the bran making Corn Gluten Feed slightly different from the others.

• frankslawncare
    14 years ago

good news , i went out today to cut the grass and i did notice a difference in the properties i did with corn gluten 21% protein , even the grass color looked different than my urea 46-0-0 lawns , anyways whats your addy i will send you some c g m to test lol ,, what a bunch of bs as i paid 10.00 canadian for 25kg bags for the low pro , and the same company wants 24.65 per bag of hi pro ,, thanks guys for the info

• mymaildfw001_gmail_com
    14 years ago

Hello pros! I am first time home buyer and seeking advise for organic pre-emergence. I heard CGF and CGM are good options to consider.

Where can I buy Corn Gulten Meal or Corn Gulten Feed? At sears 25 lbs bag costs $33.00 for CGM. Could you please provide addresses or site where i can find CGF or CGM. I live in zip code 75063 (Irving, TX.

Thank you,

• jcm_plano
    14 years ago

I live in Plano and found a feed store on I35 and Valwood. It's called Rocking Y Feed store. I'm not sure if they sell CGM but I have bought Alfalfa there and tomorrow I'm picking up some Soybean Meal.

• helenh
    13 years ago

I had the same question so I did a search and found this old post. Other information that I read earlier this evening applies. This says that CGM does not work as a herbicide in wet weather.

Here is a link that might be useful: garden myths

• Kimmsr
    13 years ago

Since Linda Chalker-Scott pretty much agrees with Nick Christians that Corn Gluten meal can potentially keep some "weeds" from germinating under the proper conditions that should tell us all that Corn Gluten, or Corn Gluten Meal, is not the be all and end all for "weed" suppression some here tell us it is.
    If you have a fairly large amount of money that needs to be spent this might be something you could do, and it can help your turf grow in greener and thicker so it can out compoete "weeds". However, there are less expensive products and the best means of suppressing "weeds" in any turf is to make the soil into a good helathy soil that will grow a good, thick, stand of grass.

• dchall_san_antonio
    13 years ago

This is the sort of discussion you wish never got started. Howard Garrett is the biggest proponent of using CGM as weed control, so the number of Dallas area writers on this message does not surprise me. Garrett is also the only one I've heard distinguish between CGM and CGF. He makes a pretty big deal out of it, too.

Could it be that corn gluten feed is a mix of corn gluten meal and something else??? Maybe molasses is used to sweeten it for the cattle? Maybe ordinary corn meal is added to dilute the product? I would be surprised if there were major differences between CGM and corn gluten feed. The corn industry is very sophisticated, but I don't think they can carve "feed" off of the corn gluten particles. That really sounds like something done at local feed mills.

What scares me is that I agree with Linda Chalker-Scott about this. She must be getting smarter ;-)

• art1
    13 years ago

To spite all the talk about rising cost, I'm still seeing a variety of sizes and very reasonable costs for Corn Gluten Meal at the Organic Garden Grower site.

Here is a link that might be useful: Corn Gluten Meal

Sponsored