Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lawnpride_gw

Need help for organic lawn

lawnpride
15 years ago

Hi everyone. I have a 5 yr. old that is severely allergic to pesticides and herbicides. I need an monthly organic program for my lawn. Any help would be great!

Comments (2)

• bergenjersey
    15 years ago

It's not monthly but I recently started this organic lawn care program. They have a 4 step and a 6 step. I just put down my first treatment yesterday which is a soil conditioner.

It seems to be a fairly new company but I've been messaging another member I've found that uses them and so far we're both happy. The contact we've both had with them was very possible and they were able to help diagnose some of my problems.

It's a mail order program. They ship you the stuff when it's time to apply. I like that because I never seem to remember to do anything in the spring. Feed stores and the organic products aren't easy to find around me without dealing with traffic, tolls and long drives. The other person I've been talking with seems to like it because they have a large lawn and have a lot of material delivered to their door rather than having to load and load.

A good portion of the nitrogen your lawn needs can be gained by leaving your clippings on the lawn and mulch mow the fall leaves.

If your son has issues with pesticides and herbicides you need to be able to accept that you might have some weeds and bugs in your lawn. If you build a good healthy turf with good mowing and watering practices, augmented with a good organic feeding, you can help keep them to a minimum. Hand pulling will also help.

Milky spore disease and/or nematodes could help you keep your grubs down to a population that shouldn't cause damage to your lawn.

I used to do about everything wrong you could do to a lawn. Let the grass grow to much between mowings, mainly let mother nature water, never really fertilize, bag my clippings and fall leaves, etc. Last year I started mowing more frequently and watering on a good infrequent basis and I saw very good results. The color was still poor, I had some thin spots and a lot of weeds still. I'm hoping the mulch mowing and the organic program will help me get it a little denser and a bit darker in color.

I limed the lawn to try and get the pH right and will be aerating and overseeding with some better seeds in the fall as well.

A lot of people in my area don't do anything but mow once a week and they have nice lawns. Not great, a bunch of clover (which adds nitrogen) and other weeds but it's not so bad.

I had my doubts about organic programs until I saw some of the photos from other members on this and other forums.

• aggrand_patriot
    15 years ago

This you are using is great and is definitely what our country needs to decrease use of petroleum based products and polluting our gulf of Mexico.

There are cheaper ways to go however, if you are willing to do the work yourself and get your own products.

Sponsored
John Romans Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full Service, Turn-Key Construction & Design Company