Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poorowner_gw

alfalfa pellets

PoorOwner
15 years ago

I put alfalfa pellets on my lawn and it looks like someone spilled cereal :) .. it about 1/4" diameter... how long does it take for it to disappear? I water it in briefly, for now it's sitting pretty much on top of the grass blades.

Comments (10)

• markinspringborooh
    15 years ago

I dunno.
    I'd let it dry all the way...then run around with a hand or backpack blower real carefully and just blow 'horizontally'...as needed.

I use 50# bags of alfalfa MEAL at 10-15 pounds / 1000 sq ft, which is a relatively fine flake; maybe about the size of a piece of Quaker Oats.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH !!!!!!
    I truly LOVE the smell of alfalfa !!
    (:

• PoorOwner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OK I watered it and after it dried it seems to not be rock hard anymore, I can pick it up and it crumbles in my hand.

I am helping to break it up with a broom.. it should be fine in a few more watering.

I enjoyed the smell also. But it look like duck doo doo all over the lawn at the moment :P

• rcnaylor
    15 years ago

"But it look like duck doo doo all over the lawn at the moment"

This too shall pass.

• soccer_dad
    15 years ago

My pellets took a while to break down. About 4 weeks. But after cutting tonight they sure have made a much thicker lawn. Meals are a little bit faster.

• lou_spicewood_tx
    15 years ago

The problem with alfalfa meal is that it is too powdery and you will end up fertilizing half of your neighbors' lawn on windy day and it doesn't seem to work well with my spreader. I usually let my grass grow tall, fertilize with the pellets with the rain storms fixing to come. Once the rains have passed, the pellets have gotten soft and I'm ready to mow. They're all broken down into pieces on the ground.

• mktsurf
    15 years ago

where does one find meal or pellets

• sandradee
    15 years ago

Mktsurf...I've seen alfalfa pellets in 2 places: a farm and ranch store (where it's marketed as rabbit food) and also at a local feed store, specializing in feed for various types of livestock. I believe that if you're looking at rabbit food, you need to be sure there's no added salt - but if I'm wrong on that, I'm sure one of the organic gurus will correct me. :)

• frederick_gardener
    15 years ago

With a newly seeded lawn (Bermuda in June), I'm preparing to move away from the synthetic 10-10-10 fertilizer and go organic. The oufit selling the seed recommended going with a Soybean fertilizer, but I'm seeing a lot of discussion here related to Alfalfa pellets. I have access to a feed store where I can obtain either/or Alfalfa/Soybean. I know my Bermuda will soon be going dormant, so I don't want to "forcefeed green". Can anyone suggest one of the fertilizers as a preferred NPK for overwintering?

• WestchesterGrower
    15 years ago

http://www.dirtworks.net/Alfalfa-Meal.html

Is this the right stuff? Thanks

• PoorOwner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

My alfalfa pellets have attracted alot of brown moths to my lawn and I don't know if I will continue using them. I am afraid their offspring are grub or catapiller bugs that is damaging my lawn, I put the alfalfa as a mulch on top of the roses and added to my fruit tree pots and the results are great, though.

Sponsored