Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emj123_gw

Pre-made liquid compost

emj123
16 years ago

I am at the beginning stages of converting to organics (i.e., at the research stage) and would like to start with applying compost to my lawn. I already used the yards of compost I had delivered this Spring for my beds (before deciding to give organic lawn care a try) and being that I would likely only need 2 to 3 yards to topdress the lawn, it is not worth purchasing more this season because of the delivery fees (which would end up being more than the cost of the product).

So...I am looking at applying a liquid compost this year (and ordering plenty of bulk compost next year). I am unable to find it locally (Cleveland, OH), but have found a small number of websites that sell it in a concentrated form (already brewed--just add water and spray).

Question: I was under the impression that tea must be used within 10 to 12 hours of brewing because, after that point, the microbes are deprived of oxygen (or something along those lines) and are no longer effective. Is that true? If so, what, if any benefits could be achieved by applying tea purchased over the internet (and thus, much older than 10 to 12 hours at the time of application)? Note: I will not be brewing and am, at the present time, considering only ready-to-use products (with or without added water).

P.S. If there are any Clevelanders out there who know where other organic products (e.g., seaweed powder, SBM, etc.) can be purchased locally, please feel free to share as I am striking out.

Thanks in advance for any input you may have.

Comments (4)

• billhill
    16 years ago

Forget the tea. Seek out a source for SBM, usually available at farm animal feed supply places. Mulch mow all your fall leaves and as many as you can collect from your neighbors let them decompose (compost) in place. Check my profile and read the FAQ below

Here is a link that might be useful: Organic Lawn Care FAQ

• emj123
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I do that with all of my clippings. We have few trees in our neighborhood, however, so there is a relative shortage of leaves come fall. I collect what I can, but it's not much.

I use leaf humus (I have to buy it but will not be ordering anymore this year) as mulch in all of my beds and the grass permiter (about 8" deep into the lawn) around the beds is fantastic. Even with the dry weather we've had (borderline drought), that narrow strip is deep green and thick. I supect it's from the leaf humus leaching into that area. If only I could get the rest of the lawn to look that good.

I plan to use the other organic products, but want to get the rest of the soil in top shape. Unfortunately, I'm having a hard time finding feeds like SBM locally. I suppose that, in an urban area, there is not a great demand for feed stores, but I will keep searching.

• sandyzz
    16 years ago

I had an extremely difficult time getting a source for CGM or soybean meal in an urban area (Toronto). I had been trying for two months. Finally a co-worker who lived quite a ways out of town was able to get a 90 lb bag of soybean meal for me at a local farm supply store. Tell all your friends, relatives what you are looking for and perhaps someone can help. Or plan a day trip out of town into 'farm country' and look up feed stores in the area you will be travelling through. I also found a source on the way to the cottage that I am looking forward to checking out. Its great when you finally get the grains especially after an exhausting search!

• emj123
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Surprisingly, I easily located CGM recently at a local landscaping supply company (though it was not cheap) that I used this Spring as a crabgrass pre-m. I did finally, just this morning, find a different company that carries SBM. For other Clevelanders who may be interested, it is Wilson Feed Mill on Canal Rd. Though they do not stock much of it, they can get it in on one- or two-days notice. I believe the price quoted was around $13/50lb bag. Even if it is a little over priced (and I am not sure that it is), it's worth it not having to pay shipping charges or traveling to rural counties.

Lesson learned: there may be a growing market in urban areas for local suppliers of these types of products, even if not actually used to feed livestock. If I was in the landscape business, I think that I would give serious consideration to offering these types of products. I suspect that there is, likewise, a shortage of lawncare services that incorporate organic products into their programs, especially in urban areas.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm