Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
idaho_guy

Advice on organic lawncare needed

Idaho_guy
11 years ago

Hi all.

Newbie to the organic lawncare world but have found a ton of good info in this forum. I have decided to jump into the organic fertilizer world and have a few questions. First, some background. I've had a soil test and had feedback from several people that it was "excellent" in terms of o.m. and p.h. Clay like soil here in the "high desert". Last year(2011) I developed a fungus in my yard for the first time. It probably covers 30% of my backyard. Several different types. Looks like some powdery mildew, brown patch, and maybe some red thread. Tried to nail it with the big box store fungus control but that hasn't worked at all. I recently dumped 50lbs of cracked corn on my 2500 S.F. lawn. I realize this is more of a preventative but I'm trying to look towards next year as it appears the fungus will be back again next year if i don't do something. Also, a feed store here sells cracked corn at $11/50 lbs and about the same price for alfalfa pellets. Haven't found any local soybean meal or cornmeal except online but it would cost about about $80/50 lbs to have it shipped to me. My questions are:

Would it be OK to alternate monthly with ONLY cracked corn, alfalfa pellets, and milorganite? Maybe March thru October. Or do I really need to add some type of cornmeal or soybean meal to be really effective?

Also. I plan on overseeding in early September. Should I dump some alfalfa pellets on before,during,or after overseeding?

Thanks for any and all help here. Again, I'm a newbie so please punch softly!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living