Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Milorginite or Alfalfa pellets?

Posted by cwrebel So Cal (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 10, 13 at 18:01

I've been reading about both of these for feeding lawns. I have access to both at reasonable prices, should I lean one way or the other? Can I use both?

I should add that I have a "mostly" organic lawn by default. I have approximately 800 sq ft of a hybrid buffalo grass that requires very little care. Doesn't need to be mowed (but I do because it looks nice), only requires 1/4" of water per week (mine gets a little more than that because it seems to appreciate it) and I've only fertilized with a small amount 21-0-0 ammonium sulfate (a red solo cup full, dispensed through a hand spreader) once in the summer for the last three years. The lawn hasn't seen round up or anything of the sort in three years, and I've never used a pre-emergent. This is the time of year when I like to feed it something, and I would like to use some organic matter that will feed the lawn and soil. I should also add that the lawn looks pretty good, I'd love to keep it happy and healthy for years to come. Thanks for any advice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Milorginite or Alfalfa pellets?

Lawn does look good. I looked at milorganite's Wikipedia boasts it high iron value.

o

What to use depends on what the soil needs. if the soil needs more organic matter then the Alfalfa pellets would be my choice since the Milorganite would not supply all that much OM at the recommended application rates. Applying more then recommended will create pollution problems, someplace.

o

Thanks west9491!

kimmsr, I definitely want to start adding organic material. In many spots the groung below is relatively hard, despite the overall healthy appearance of the lawn. We have hard clay out here in So Cal, so a little plant matter is what I'm after. I don't mulch mow because the clippings are unsightly, so I bag and compost them for the vegetable garden. I think I'll start with some alfalfa. For a quicker boost of nitrogen for the grass, is there something you would reccomend?

o

Properly done mulch mowing does not leave unsightly residue behind. If clumps of cut grass are left on the lawns surface then the mower is cutting the grass too short or too fast. Grass should be cut as often as needed at a height that is best for that grass, but no more then about 1/3 of the grass blade should be removed at any one time.
Speed should be no faster then what will allow the mower to process the clippings and get the small enough to fall below the surface to the ground. Clippings on top of the grass do not get process by the Soil Food Web and can smother the grass they cover.

o

That could be part of the problem. Like I said, the grass doesn't require much mowing, so when I do cut I might be taking off larger clippings than necessary. I never even thought about the speed of mowing either. I'll try trimming a little less at a time more frequently and pacing myself a little better. I'll let you know how it works out, thanks kimmsr!

o

Which hybrid buff do you have? They don't really need much fertilizer.

o

UC Verde. I know they don't need much. I think that I'm really after some organic material to retain moisture and feed the soil. I just figure it couldn't hurt. One thing I've learned about the grass, is it doesn't NEED much anything, but, with a little extra water, a little extra mowing, a little fertilizer, it's pretty good looking turf. I like to experiment with it too, cutting at different lengths and what not. I already offered up a shampoo treatment (I'm a believer). Definitely loosened up some tough dirt, I couldn't belive it. When comes right down to it, I'm a lawn guy, and a plant guy. I care about everything I grow! Just want to give the best, you know?

o

• Posted by catkin UDSA Zone 8 (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 15, 13 at 1:51

Nice lawn!

Are those Cypress or yews or something else? They are gorgeous!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here