Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
razorbird_gw

Weeds taking over organic Bermuda lawn

razorbird
16 years ago

Hey everyone, I posted this in the weed forum, but I thought I'd post here too since I visit this forum quite a bit and know you know what you are talking about. I need help in identifying this weed. It is running rampant in my front yard. We've had lots of rain lately, so that's probably helping. I've just started going organic over the last two year or so, so no pre-m was used. I use SBM and alfalfa pellets, but never can find any CGM around here (Fort Smith, AR) to use as a pre-m.

Is this crabgrass? It's so widespread and not in clumps like I usually see it.

Comments (6)

• rcnaylor
    16 years ago

I'd guess quack grass. If so, the good news is its an annual. but, it re-seeds like crazy.

Of course, the best defense against weeds in any lawn is a good thick grass. With bermuda it likes alot of nitrogen in the summer and likes to be mowed pretty low and OFTEN.

I try to stay mostly organic but used pre-m on an area that my dogs keep worn down and that had a bad infestation of quack grass last year. It seems to have helped alot.

• okcdan
    16 years ago

I have some of this stuff (whatever it is) in my back yard where I dug out a post that was sunk in concrete. After I dug out the concrete, I filled it with dirt. It's left about a 2' circle of bare dirt. This stuff germinated from some weeds seeds I guess. As the bermuda spreads to cover, it's crowding this stuff out. Mow often, mow low, fertilze once a month & it'll make it's way outta there.

(PS. the only reason I think this stuff germinated there is due to all the rain we've had here in Oklahoma the last several weeks. I've had measurable rain at my house now for the last 20 straight days! Once we get back to the normal Oklahoma hot dry weather & I'm back to only watering twice a month, while mowing every 3rd day, my lawn is so dense virtually NO weeds survive.)

Good day, Dan

• rcnaylor
    16 years ago

I did it again. Mixed up quack grass and goose grass. Its goose grass if you ask me.

Here's a ling with pics.

Here is a link that might be useful: goose grass

• turfer
    16 years ago

That looks like smooth crab grass but it might be goose grass because these look the same unless we identified the seed heads. From the picture it doesn't look like it is covered with hair, in which case - it would have been Hairy Crab Grass.

Check out link I found on smooth crab grass (http://www.msuturfweeds.net/details/_/smooth_crabgrass_49). There is also information on hairy crab grass from the same website.

I live in Springdale, AR and found bulk corn gluten meal in Fayetteville, AR. It's a feed store on 6th Street. There is also one in Johnson, AR where they sell bagged corn gluten meal, check out their website - you might be able to order online (http://www.nitron.com/).

• syman
    16 years ago

I thought Corn Gluten Meal works only as a pre-emergent. Since the crabgrass is already well established, dont you think its too late for CGM to be effective?Is there a post-emergent organic alternative? Or is that what the Vinegar soultion is supposed to be ie post emergent.

• razorbird
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The CGM would be a pre-m. I might try to head up to Fayetteville next spring to get some. I'm going to see what frequent mowing will do as we start to heat up and dry out here, but I might give the baking soda a try in a couple of spots. I've used a vinegar solution as a spot treatment before with fairly good results as well.

Sponsored