Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chris_ont

wohoo, stand back!

chris_ont
16 years ago

Ohhhhh my gawwwd, this is so cool.

I am actually starting to see some amazing results from the soybean meal I've put down.

I mowed the grass on Friday - you wouldn't know it to look at it now. It's growing like it was May! And we're in a the grip of some nastily hot weather.

I put down the soybean meal a few weeks ago. We've had little rain since then and I've watered only sporadically, like an hour or two per week. Then we had one night of steady rain and thundershowers. I came home today to realize that my grass had turned dark green. It was positively anemic before.

I am stoked. The only time I've seen such rapid greening up was after applying chemical fertilizer in Spring (not something I've done in this garden). And this is July!

Took a few weeks to get going, and I'm sure this recent rain helped, but I'm totally sold on this stuff.

Now the trick is to get out there in these muggy temps and get the energy to actually mow this thing!

Gonna throw some of this stuff at my hostas, too. Wheeeeee!

Comments (5)

• jlaak5
    16 years ago

Chris,
    Was this application of SBM your first? If so.........I am encouraged by your news! I put my first ever application on my lawn about a week ago and have seen little results. I water about 1" per week........we have also got some rain the past few days as well.

I guess I will just have to give it a little more time and hope I get the results you did!!.........keep your fingers crossed !

Jim

• v1rt
    16 years ago

chris_ont,

I'm glad that you are seeing the improvement. I also have noticed that there is a lot of juice in my grass blades. I mowed the other day around 7pm(quite hot the whole day, no rain) and I was only wearing slippers, my feet both top and bottom became green. However, I don't know if this is just normal.

• morpheuspa (6B/7A, E. PA)
    16 years ago

Gonna throw some of this stuff at my hostas, too. Wheeeeee!

And they will love you for it! I toss the stuff around my entire garden and it works wonders.

Me, I got neglectful this weekend and didn't mow. Ok, I was putting down 10 cubic yards of mulch on the gardens in 90° weather--I just didn't have the energy!

By the time I got to it yesterday, the front lawn was surpassing five inches. I did a no-no and cut it back to 3 1/4" all at once.

I guess I will just have to give it a little more time and hope I get the results you did!!.........keep your fingers crossed !

Jlaak5--it takes about three weeks for the SBM to break down enough for your lawn to be getting a decent feeding. You should see results around that time, or shortly thereafter. Since it's July, it probably won't be as intense a response as it would have been in May.

• woodycrest
    16 years ago

morpheus,

OMG!!! not all at once!! lol :)

i seldom observe the 1/3 rule.

chris ont,

amazing how a good rain puts the soybean meal to work, eh, :)

v1,
    hmmm... do you often mow in slippers? that grass juice will ruin them. ;)

• v1rt
    16 years ago

woodycrest, it was my first time mowing in sleepers. I won't do it again. I don't want to get a foot disease too. I don't want to become dark green too. :D hehehe

Thanks for the tip.

Sponsored