Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jlaak5

Clover

jlaak5
16 years ago

I have recently noticed that some of the clover from my neighbors yard is starting to creep over into my lawn. What is the best way to get rid of it?? I just applied some SBM about 10 days ago

Comments (4)

• dchall_san_antonio
    16 years ago

Is it possible to convince you that clover is a desirable plant to have in your lawn? What if you knew that prior to 1960, all lawn seed included clover in the mix and the only reason it is not there now is because the chemical companies developed poisons for military purposes and they had to keep their stockpiles up so the military and industry came up with the idea to develop the poisons for use by homeowners but the drawback was that the poison killed the clover so they had to convince the public that clover was a "weed" so they embarked on a campaign to include universities, government, and industry to convince us all that clover was not desirable in a lawn. Or words to that effect. It is all true. Furthermore, when clover has full coverage, it mixes well with grasses and looks pretty darned good. It's only when it grows in clumps that it looks nasty.

But if you don't want clover, you'll probably have to put up a barrier of some kind. You could put a bed in as a border, I have a small rock retaining wall. Brick should work. Anything you can use a string trimmer against would work.

• habiem
    16 years ago

Well...I shouldn't do this, but I will. It's like encouraging folks on here to jump all over my back, but...I'm not a fan of clover. I don't like it in my lawn. I understand the benefits of it, but them damn little white flowers drive me nuts. If those weren't there, I wouldn't mind it. Someone posted on here once that the flowers are only there for 4 weeks...well, I've got a small patch in my front yard that has been flowering for about 2 months now. I walk out there every day and pop the little flowers off...

To answer the original post -- the only way you're going to get rid of it is to do a spot treatment with a weed-bÂgone or something similar.

With my current clover patch, I'm just abusing it  pulling the flowers off, pulling the tops off, etc. I'm hoping it will weaken and my KBG will take over it. So far, it's not spreading, but it's not exactly going away. If it's still in the same shape by next spring, I'll probably weed-b-gone it.

However, to be fair to all of those that like, clover, before you do anything, go read this read:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/orglawn/msg0316505617514.html?42

You can make up your own mind about clover. To each his own, I guess :)

• chris_ont
    16 years ago

Have you tried posting your message in the "regular" lawn forum? Likely, folks there mind the clover more than organic gardeners do.

I seeded clover entirely on purpose this year. After several weeks of brutal weather, you can tell where it is when you look out the window, because it's still green :)

• green_jen
    16 years ago

I understand the virtues of clover - but agree with Habiem, I just don't like the way it looks. My front yard has huge patches that are just clover. It might be easier to take if there were more grass there. Plus, and I fully admit to peer pressure, I am trying to make a point to my neighbor that my grass can look as good as his without chemicals and white flowers popping up isn't helping my case any. I know, selling out but hey ...

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations