Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dchall_san_antonio

Advanced reading on bacterial communication

dchall_san_antonio
16 years ago

Anyone see Nova Science Now tonight? One segment was on quorum sensing. QS is the concept of bacteria emitting the equivalent of a hormone to alert other bacteria (same species and other species) that they are nearby. When enough bacteria creatures are in close proximity, they form a 'quorum' (or a critical mass) and will take on the character of a swarm. What they do when they swarm depends on the species. Some glow in the dark (oooOOOooo), but others may cause a disease. Some others might swarm and kill a disease.

Check out this wiki site and links therefrom for more info.

Why do I bring this up in an organic forum? Because there are a lot of unanswered questions in organic gardening. For example how and why, if all the necessary beneficial bacteria and fungi are living in the soil, do things sometimes go wrong; how do organic fertilizers work; why does it take 3 weeks for so many organic solutions to produce a visible effect; and for those of you using compost tea or molasses sprays, this might help explain why repeated applications are beneficial but occasional applications seemingly have no effect.

I apologize in advance but I'm going to post this same message in the Organic Gardening forum for that audience who do not visit this forum.

Comments (6)

• billhill
    16 years ago

Good stuff. One thing is for sure: Bacteria has been here awhile. Hope I can catch that Nova Science Now program on the re-run.

• rcnaylor
    16 years ago

Good stuff DChall. One thing I think I know... its how little we really know.

All those organisms and how they live and interact. The funny thing (sad funny, not ha ha funny) is that our entire existence is dependent on the soil and its organisms.

Our society just blithely takes its continued complex existence for granted (always been there always will be). Trillions (probably not a high enough term) living, communicating and dying every second to keep our soil and food chain rolling. If our soil organisms ever decide to go on strike over all the stuff we are doing to them, it'll make global warming seem like a problem of the distant future.

• texasredhead
    16 years ago

Some interesting reading. I have long observed to any one who asks that there is no bargin in keeping a lawn, garden, property organically. Products that were once very cheap such as corn gluten meal have been "discovered" and now run in the $20 range for a 40-50lb. bag. Most organic bagged fertilizers run $20-30 per bag. Based on your premice of more frequent fertilizing, some folks are turned off by the cost. Just a thought.

• dee_can1
    16 years ago

I think in order to understand bacteria all you have to do is think of the human body. We each have bacteria living on and inside us. When we are in a healthy state, we have a healthy balance of good and bad; but when something is ÂoffÂ, the bad bacteria may begin to multiply (swarm - that's interesting stuff) and out-balance the good. ThatÂs when weÂre in trouble. But, even when we get in trouble, IÂm not so sure the answer is always to take an antibiotic (although, in life-threatening or other serious situations it may be necessary). The antibiotics are non-selective and kill not only the bad bacteria, but the good, as well. Sometimes itÂs best to let the body duke it out on its own.

So, I figure if we donÂt interfere with the soilÂs natural mechanisms by killing the bacteria (good and bad) and other microorganisms, with the dreaded 'pesticides', the soil is more likely to maintain a good balance all on its own with not much help from me except for the occasional feeding (and sometimes I talk nice to the worms - lol). And, we're not killing off those ever-important insects - but that's another topic. ThatÂs the logic I use  scientifically, I suppose, I could be all wrong.

As an aside: I've got a few health problems, and what I've learned and believe is that when something is 'off', the ph level of the body gets out of kilter. When I eat the 'right' foods (in combination with a couple other key elements such as reducing stress, drinking good water, etc.), my ph level balances out to a healthier state, and in that state, the bacteria in the body is more likely to stay in balance. So, I'm wondering if the bacteria (in the body & soil, as per the subject) picks up on the fluctuations of the ph level? Just a thought.

About the cost aspect: IÂd rather pay a bit more for organic products, than go cheaper with the chemicals or 'whatever-cides'. I truly feel the 'cides are dangerous to our *health* and the environment  so a few extra dollars is money well spent, imo.

• texasredhead
    16 years ago

The issue I am making is that lower cost organic products do not seem to be available in larger urban areas. I'm not sure folks in DC, Brooklyn, Boston, etc., can run down to their local feed store to buy CGM or SBM. So often their options may be limited to very high priced mail order. Even in my Dallas/Ft. Worth area where feed stores and organic nurseries abound, products are very expensive. An exception is Milorganite which I have been using for some time. My bugs and microrganisms seem to love the stuff.

• dchall_san_antonio
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm not sure folks in DC, Brooklyn, Boston, etc., can run down to their local feed store to buy CGM or SBM.

Any place with a horse or two will have a feed store. Most counties have a mounted posse or patrol. I'm thinking of the Boston Police Mounted Patrol and the Los Angles County Sheriff's Mounted Posse. Call them and ask where they get their feed. Or Wal-Marts are ubiquitous. Anyone can go to Wal-Mart and get a 50 pound bag of Ol' Roy dog food for about $9. The ingredients are closely matched to those of organic fertilizers.

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area