Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jlaak5

SBM/Compost

jlaak5
16 years ago

I have been using Scott's on my lawn for the last 8yrs. I have purchased my first round of SBM to start my organic program. My question is, is it absolutely necessary to spread compost over my yard prior to starting with the SBM? or will the SBM begin to condition the soil on its own?

Comments (4)

• fescue_planter
    16 years ago

I'm guessing some might direct you to maybe try a few batches of compost tea to give your yard a boost in microbes to feed on your SBM. I know the first time you look at the hardware and the perceived 'trouble' to go through to do it but once you read through it and get the gist of things, well it would sure beat the heck out of spreading compost around the whole yard. I've applied two batches to my yard already in my new effort to switch my 2-year old yard to organic. Since I'm just starting I'll try to apply a batch every week for a month or so, hopefully they'll find my SBM tasty!

• billhill
    16 years ago

Jlaak NO it is not absolutely necessary to spread compost. The microbes will find your SBM. - Compost is great stuff and adds much to the soil. Compost is "Old School" organics. The modern (easy) approach is to spread grains and tea, use fish stuff, seaweed, etc. In my opinion, compost is best. Spread your soy bean meal. As with anything. The results will reflect your efforts.

• morpheuspa (6B/7A, E. PA)
    16 years ago

Compost is "Old School" organics. The modern (easy) approach is to spread grains and tea, use fish stuff, seaweed, etc. In my opinion, compost is best. Spread your soy bean meal.

About the only exception I could point out would be if you had newly-reclaimed land that used to be abused by pesticides, herbicides, heavy chemical fertilization, or had heavy chemicals dumped on it from other sources.

Then I'd be very tempted to put down the compost to add some microbes.

Eight years of Scott's doesn't do that--you weren't exactly dumping gasoline on it. You weren't feeding the soil food web, but you weren't doing that much damage, either.

You can certainly start with just soy (I did, and my lawn was corn field two years before I moved in). It may take a tiny bit for the microbes to reproduce, but (like kids these days), they grow up fast and have children of their own.

• rcnaylor
    16 years ago

I would call it a choice between better/best.

Putting down the compost is best. But, it is alot of work unless you have some specialized equipment that most don't. In my experience, you can do few things that will help your yard as much as that first topdressing with a good compost. Getting organic matter and a broad range of microherd in there with something they like to eat really gives it a boost.

But, as discussed above, you can have a fine yard by using teas and grains. It will probably take a little longer and might not be quite as effective, but mighty fine. It really boils down to finances, energy level and a choice between good, better and best.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor